Random Orbit Sander

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • 6021
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

    #1

    Random Orbit Sander

    It's about time for a replacement. Which one do you use, and what do you like/dislike about it? How is the dust collection on it? I'm looking for suggestions on which one to buy, but the Festool is out of the question. Also, has anyone had experience ordering from the ToolBarn? I've seen a couple of really good reviews on this one http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/ROS20VSK/ .

    Ed
    Last edited by Ed62; 08-18-2008, 06:03 AM.
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

    For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • 1149
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #2
    I have the Bosch. Don't remember the number, but it's their common model. Works great, has a decent dust filter (pleated filter box, not a bag). Probably the older version of the one you linked to. The only downside to it is that the dust box doesn't have a typical round fitting, so you can't just hook a shop vac up to it. There is an adaptor that they sell, or do what I do and use duct tape (or use it outside, which I do most of the time now).

    Jim

    Comment

    • burrellski
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 218
      • Saint Joseph, MO.

      #3
      The latest issue of Wood has a review of new ROS models. The new Milwaukee got best value and the new, low profile Porter Cable got best overall.

      Comment

      • LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • 6693
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

        #4
        Ed, as a rule I genuinely dislike replies that basically say, "Try a forum search" but in this case that's essentially what I'm going to give you. This thread from not quite two years ago, and this one from a few months later, which links to the first, covers most of the usual suspects. I don't think the available choices have changed much, other than the new P-C model that burrellski mentions. As usual, most people like what they have but the Bosch is highly regarded by many and generally either wins outright or places very highly in comparison tests.

        I have the Makita and have no complaints. It also does well in tests and has very good dust collection. If I were shopping today, I might get the Bosch if only because so many speak so highly of it.
        Last edited by LarryG; 08-18-2008, 07:09 AM.
        Larry

        Comment

        • steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • 1001
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

          #5
          I have a Ryobi ROS and it does the job for me. The price was right so I did not compare it to other ROSs, except as noted in the following.

          While I got it on sale, one of its real selling points was that it could be easily connected to a shop vac with a small piece of rubber hose. I have not been terribly impressed with the clip-on dust collectors, although they are better than nothing at all. If it were me, I would make sure it had a round vacuum port or an adapter that allowed it to be connected to a shop vac.

          Regards, Steve

          Comment

          • cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • 15216
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

            #6
            I use the Ingersoll Rand Air ROS, for a lot of work. A few years ago I picked up a couple of Ryobi RS 250's, that have vac pick up. It's a 5" 8 hole H&L, good price for a good sander. The new model is the RS 290.
            .

            Comment

            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • 9562
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

              #7
              I have the Skil 7490-01 (Walmart special, $39.00), ripped the dust collection box off and adapted it up to the shop vac. Dust collection this way works amazingly well, too much vibration transferred to my hand for my liking though. I have used both the PC low profile, and the Ryobi ROS, and I like the function of them both. I would STRONGLY suggest you make sure whatever ROS you get has a round DC port you can hook up to a shop vac. With sanders, you need hard vacum, not so much CFM like a saw would need for dust control...

              I like the feel of the Ryobi in hand best, very little vibration by comparison to others I have tried...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

              Comment

              • pacwind3
                Established Member
                • Nov 2006
                • 257
                • Vancouver, WA
                • Bosch 4100

                #8
                Had/have a ryobi, it worked well until last year when I was building some pieces that were contracted out to me. I needed them to be perfect in the sanding as the company scrutinized the sanding on their pieces. I was getting some swirl marks from the ryobi. (in fairness now, it could've been the sanding paper, I didn't factor that in.) I bought a Bosch and have been very happy with it. So happy in fact it prompted me to buy their 1/4 sheet sander. I had a lot of edge work easing round-overs and the ROS gets a little squirly in that situation. The 1/4 sheet works nicer. Both sander are great. Those and the little 10.8v bosch driver I have has made them a favorite tool manufacturer in my shop.

                Comment

                • KLF
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 98
                  • Barrington NH
                  • BT3000 (of course)

                  #9
                  I have the Bosch linked above. Really like it, I have used it a lot. I have yet to use it with the box-shaped dust-collector thingy, seemed a waste of time to me. My only complaint with it is that I had to go to Fastenal and special order the adapter so I could attach it to my ShopVac, seems like something that should have been included. Otherwise, I would buy it again.

                  I had to laugh at some of the review on Amazon though, people complaining how the dust collector filled up too fast when sanding sheetrock. Well duh... sanding joint compound makes a TON of dust, what do you expect? The dust is very abrasive, I wouldn't use this sander for much of this, maybe just small patches. You're better off using those open-cell sheets on the hand pads, wear a dust mask, and put a HUGE box fan in the window of the room to suck out all the airborne dust. And avoid the temptation to use your shopvac to suck up all the dust on the floor, you'll clog the filter in no time, and the really really fine dust will get thru the filter and into the motor bearings, ruining it.

                  Comment

                  • cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 4503
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

                    #10
                    I have an older PC with a matching hose for my vac and I'm very happy with the combination. What I specifically like is the 1" round dust port with matching hose. The quality of the finish it produces is also very good, and it can cut through material very quickly.

                    Comment

                    • Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 6021
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

                      #11
                      Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered the one I linked to in the first post. The one I currently have is a PC333, and I'm pretty sure this will be an upgrade.

                      Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

                      For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

                      Comment

                      • pacwind3
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 257
                        • Vancouver, WA
                        • Bosch 4100

                        #12
                        Wow, I didn't see the price of the sander in the link till now.
                        I have the ROS 10, I believe is the model number, and I paid $60 locally. The store is some discount store here in the NW.

                        Comment

                        • poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 3196
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

                          #13
                          I have a Dewalt and it works fine. The attached DC bag is OK but I usually hook it up to a shop vac.

                          A recent WW Journal gave the Bosch you just ordered the "BEST BET" in a test of 19 ROSs.
                          Jon

                          Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                          ________________________________

                          We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

                          Comment

                          • JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • 4187
                            • Lexington, SC.

                            #14
                            I need a new sander too and just last night compared the review in the current Wood magazine to one in FWW from a year or so ago. The FWW rated the Bosch a best buy and best tool. Wood rated the newer PC brushless model as the best tool (about $130) and a Milwaukee not included in the FWW review the best buy.

                            The Wood article is OK but it was interesting to compare them side by side. The Wood article sanded through veneered plywood as their test of sanding speed. FWW weighted the wood and the sander bag after 5 minutes sanding. To gauge sanding quality, Wood examined pieces of oak and pine after sanding with 220 and 320 grit. FWW sanded plexiglass pieces and examined the scratch pattern. They both agreed that the Bosch isn't great at cleaning up it's dust unless hooked to a vacumn. Both thought the Bosch had a good sanding motion that minimized scratches. I like the methods of the FWW article better but the Wood testing plan seemed to lead them to a supportable conclusion too. It was at least better than their joint testing (where they said glued and nailed joints are stronger than dovetails for drawers).

                            Jim

                            Comment

                            Working...