• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Shop Fox Cabinet Saw Is Here!

Here's what I've been up to since yesterday...My trusty 22124 has found a new home and my Shop Fox W1677 has arrived. I'll miss the 22124 but the 35% off the SF with free s/h was more than I could take! My saw has gained some weight but my hand plane collection is a bit lighter now....had to peddle some of those to fund this thing! The driver showed up on time and loaded this in the garage for me...he was a wwer too and was pretty interested in the saw. He wouldn't take a $10 tip, said his saw blade collection was pretty vast, but he didn't own any chisels so he accept a nearly new box of chisels (remember the $8 Northwest Tools deal with free shipping?! ) There were at least two happy people in the world at that moment...me with my new saw and him with a nice looking box of chisels!

Just about everything is super heavy duty...handwheels, lock knobs, switch, trunnions, miter gauge, motor...even the motor cover is heavy steel. I miss the Biesemeyer fence already though, but the SF Classic will be fine. The ivory color is nice.

I removed the cosmoline with engine degreaser and it worked like a charm. I Needed the saw to cut the platform on the mobile base, so it's running but far from trimmed out. Still need to hook up the switch, level the wings, hook up DC, align it, bring it with the level of the workbench, and have much more work to finish install the router table and a new outfeed. More to come...

Update: Added the Wixey digital read out that my best friend gave me in March. I opted to only use half the rail which gives 30" digital capability...the full two section 60" would have alot more overhang and my fence only goes to 36", so I'll have read the old fashion way for over 30". ...it's great having a generous friend who's also a wwer!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Knottscott; 12-09-2008, 12:43 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

It sure is purty. I'll bet it cuts real good.

If I didn't have a bad back and basement shop I woulda jumped on that Microsoft deal. You're gonna love that saw.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Let me be the first to say...

YOU SUCK!

Nice saw!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

Looks like a beaut. Kinda like a white Grizzly. I'm sure cutting with it will be pure WW joy. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Very cool saw, must be nice to have enough room to work with something that big!

One question I have though...

Is that 6" PVC sewer pipe you are using for your DC plumbing? That must be one heck of a system to utilize that! Might want to keep hand tools and small animals away from the inlets on that thing!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Many congrats on your new workshop companion, I am sure you will have many happy times together.

We can wait to hear and see what you do together.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by dbhost
              Very cool saw, must be nice to have enough room to work with something that big!

One question I have though...

Is that 6" PVC sewer pipe you are using for your DC plumbing? That must be one heck of a system to utilize that! Might want to keep hand tools and small animals away from the inlets on that thing!
              Man, my shop is pretty small! The footprint I'm allowed is about 10' x 13' (a bit under half of two car garage), but I do have temporary auxiliary floor space if needed, and airspace above the bikes and outdoor toys!

Yep, that's 6" PVC hooked to a Griz G1029 2hp w/12" impeller with a JDS cannister filter. Ever since I hooked up the 6", the separator gets sucked clean, which defeats part of the purpose of it!

My space is the upper left hand area:
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Are you going to install your Wixey Digital Fence on the new saw?

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by cgallery
                  Are you going to install your Wixey Digital Fence on the new saw?
                  You betcha...BTDT!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0255.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	783331

Originally posted by Pappy
                  Let me be the first to say...

YOU SUCK!

Nice saw!
                  Pappy, I've been the lucky recipient of precious few of these cheers, and it's never been sweeter music to my ears than this time around!
                  Last edited by Knottscott; 07-27-2008, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Hoakie
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Iowa
                    • Craftsman 21829

That is one of the most ingenious uses of a spreadsheet I think I've ever seen .....

GRAPH PAPER!!!

oh yeah btw you suck on the saw

John
                    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• eddy merckx
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Western WA
                      • Shop Fox Cabinet

You're gonna love that saw Dustmight. I have the same saw, purchased last year. It's about as much maintenance as a rock. The only thing I ever had trouble with is the motor pulley grub screws coming loose when the saw was new. It kills the belts fast, so you want to make sure those are tight.

Just wait until you do a few ripping cuts. It will put tears in your eyes.

Eddy

Comment

• garymuto
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Encinitas, CA
                        • Delta Cabinet Saw

Congratulations. I like your shop set up too.

Comment

Working...