• Show
Clear All
  • Snap Marc
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Atlanta, GA, USA.
    • Jet ProSHOP Full Cast Iron Hybrid

Kreg Precision Router Table

I'm drooling, but for $499, is it worth it? I need a killer router table. Which one is the best for the money? I would buy a dedicated router for this new table as well. I have 26 shutter for my house to build and I need a table for them. Talk to me people!
    --
    Marc
    Roswell, GA

\"You get what you pay for.\"
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Are you opposed to making your own? I am of the opinion that you can make one 10 times better for less than half the price you would pay for a store bought version.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Snap Marc
      Established Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I'm not opposed to building one, but I prefer to spend my time working on the projects that I need done, rather than building fixtures. I know me, It would take me months to build a router table. Do you know of a plan that is honestly easy to build? It's not the complexity I'm concerned about, but rather the amount of time I'd need to gather all of the supplies, etc. and build the project. Not to mention all of the little details and such that would make a project like that take months.

I could on the other hand, buy a router table and start building the 20+ shutters I need built.

Talk to me, how hard is this project you speak of? Do you have breakdown of cost? Is this table you mention, really better than Kreg's and less than half the price? Would the guys at Kreg agree that your table is really better? Would other forum members also agree? I'm not doubting, I'm just asking.
      --
      Marc
      Roswell, GA

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

I am about to build another one so the concept is fresh in my mind. As far as plans, you could find some you like and build that, or find out what features matter most to you and build it into what you want.

For starters, the Kreg router table has no storage and the only dust collection is on the fence. You could easily build a cabinet with all the storage you want and need, and also enclose your router so you do not get dust buildup under your table and reduce noise. If I were going to spend $500 for a table, it better have these features.

The Kreg systems only real stand out feature is the t-square fence, which is unnecessary on a router table. The bit spins in a horizontal plane, not vertical. The fence does not have to stay square to the table, just square to the vertical axis of the router bit.

New Yankee Workshop sells some great plans for a router table you could build easily in a weekend, a day if you are motivated and have everything there before you start. Runs to Lowe's and Rockler kill time and make projects longer.

Cost breakdown would roughly be:

1 sheet 3/4" MDF ~$25
        1 sheet BORG 3/4" hardwood plywood ~$45
        1 sheet BORG 1/2" plywood ~$35
        Router plate $50 (on sale at Rockler right now)
        Hardware $85 (NYW hardware kit from Rockler)
        Various other bits might cost you $50

So for $290 (I think that is high, but the sky is the limit if you go adding on options) you would have a router table that is more functional, with better dust collection and actually have storage. This cost could be less if you have scraps of any of the lumber around your shop. For the MDF top you would need two pieces roughly 24x30 to laminate together, the fence parts would be much smaller in size.

It is all entirely up to you and your needs though. You could buy the Kreg for $500 and an hour or two out of the box and you could be machining parts. Or spend a weekend, save enough money to buy a Triton to put into it and build your own. Myself, I enjoy building stuff for the shop so I would rather build my own. If you don't, then buy one to suit your needs.
        Would the guys at Kreg agree that your table is really better?
        Of course not, if they did they would design one like I have imagined. There are many ways to do things in this hobby, and none of them are wrong. Just different.
        Last edited by jonmulzer; 07-19-2008, 11:36 PM.
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That table's good, but the zero dust-collection and all that space wasted where lots storage drawers could be, makes me cringe.

You might want to take a look at the options offered at woodpeck. I have one of their combo packages, and that dust-collection cabinet below the router is a god-sent. You can mix-and-match to get a combo you like, of course.

As I see it, it is always possible to build a table cheaper than buy; problem is, will it good enough? Many here (this forum) are expert WW-ers, but speaking for myself, I am not. I built my first table (still have it), and managed to tweak it to an acceptable level of accuracy and ease-of-use during the many months I used it. At the end of it, the total money I spent on it must have been around $40 (excluding the router plate, router switch, etc). But I used plain pine wood and MDF, and it was not ready on day 1 by a long shot - a slow buildup was more like it.

Frankly, the real difference between my new and old tables, is all the prepackaged stuff that you can buy separately : the heavy, flat and smooth table top, the incra fence, the table wheel kit, the dust cabinet, the router lift, etc. Theoretically I could have built this table itself (in wood) for $25 and added all the other extras, but the the price would have climbed back close to square-one!

Instead, I bided my time and got a great deal on Craigslist. But knowing all the convenience it has bought me, I can't argue against you purchasing it new, always assuming you are not raiding your kid's piggy bank to do so !
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• Snap Marc
            Established Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Alright, I hear what you're saying and it all makes sense. In fact, I've seen the episode of NYW where Norm makes his amazing router station. If Norm uses it, it must be top notch.

So you really think it's a weekend project? Are you retired? I work full time running my own company, so time is very valuable. I have a 5 year old daughter and a son on the way, my wife is due Sept. 1st. Lots of excuses, but also big factors in my life that prevent me from making sawdust. We also just move homes and while my shop area has gone from a one-room hole in my basement to a HUGE unfinished basement - about 2600 sq. ft. We have no plans to finish this basement, so I get to use all of the basement for my shop. More space than I know what to do with. A great problem to have. I intend on having a killer workshop, so a killer router table will be essential.

So, plans. Do you have the NYW plans for the router table? You've got my wheels turning.

Link me on some of those items you mentioned if you can.

Thanks so much
            --
            Marc
            Roswell, GA

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

Try to find an episode of "The Router Workshop" on the internet and take a look at how they use their very simple router table and fence system. It would be really easy to build from scratch or they sell a kit.
              http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=RT01--
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Actually, I work 55+ hours a week most weeks. I could easily have it usable in a weekend, carcass, top and fence. The next weekend build and install all the drawers. Just remember, Norm's projects are all built in two days with him doing 90%+ of the work. Probably long days, and he is better than most of us. I prefer to work at a more relaxed pace myself.

Just simplify things and look at it in its parts. The top is two pieces of MDF cut to the same size and then you glue and screw it together. Just do some rough layout so there are no screws where you will cut out for your plate or rout for a miter slot if you want one. Half hour maybe?

Carcass would be 8 pieces of plywood cut to size, then rabbet the 4 outside pieces. Dado for the dividers inside. One set up on the router or dado stack, your choice and then dado all your pieces. Glue and screw it together. Or use your Kreg jig if you have one. This is not fine cabinetry, it just needs to work. That really would not take that long if you already have your dimensions worked out.

Go back to work on your top. Glue on Formica if you want, or raw MDF is fine also with some paste wax. Attach your edging to protect the MDF with glue and finish nails. A biscuit joiner would help with alignment if you have one. If you get the template from Rockler it would take no time to cut out for the plate with a pattern bit. Route a groove for a miter slot if you want one. Then your top would be basically done.

For a fence you are talking about basically 6 pieces of MDF glued and screwed together to get a basic fence. Make it 9 if you want to adjust the opening for bits and a miter track mounted high for feather boards. Glued and screwed construction.

At this point, you have a usable router table. This could all be easily done in a weekend. Then you can take your time making your bit storage, drawers, finish dust collection, etc.

Plans, video, router plates, hardware kit, etc. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10446

The problem with the Kreg is wasted space and bad dust collection. If you get it, you will have to store your bits elsewhere and end up with a pile of chips under it anytime you use it. With this solution you can store everything you need there, keep all your bits organized and safe and minimize your cleanup. I also prefer to build anything I can rather than buy because you get to practice on something where you can deal with mistakes more easily. If you cut dadoes for two left sides on a project like this, so what? Recut the dadoes and you will always have a reminder to double check before you do anything from then on. If you do that on a heirloom piece, you are buying more lumber.

If you wanted to save even more money you could build the whole thing out of MDF. If you want your drawers a different configuration, then do it. I would recommend getting the plans and then using it as a guide to build what you want and need. Or, just look at the photo and come up with your own design, it is not that hard and is what I plan on doing. I like the general design, but would change a few things.

Comment

• messmaker
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2004
                  • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                  • Ridgid 2424

$499 is a lot of money for what you are getting. I would buy the top and fence and then add a cabinet as time allows. The top willl work fine clamped to a couple of sawhorses. Rockler,Hartville Hardware and a couple other places can get you in the game for less than $200.
                  spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

I'm planing on getting a Rockler router table package http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=894 and building my own base. I figure that will give me the best of both worlds.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      Try to find an episode of "The Router Workshop" on the internet and take a look at how they use their very simple router table and fence system. It would be really easy to build from scratch or they sell a kit.
                      http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=RT01--

I was going to say, watch the Router Workshop. These guys make a router fence out of a piece of straight wood and two C-clamps.
                      Get a flat table, mount your router and get after it!
                      who needs dust collection, split fences, guards, jointing shims, T-track, router lifts?
                      Simplicity!
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-20-2008, 11:20 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• p8ntblr
                        • Jan 2007
                        • So Cal
                        • Craftsman 22114

Take a look at the Bench Dog's cast iron router table. Then you could make your own stand.
                        -Paul

Comment

• jonmulzer
                          • Dec 2007
                          • Indianapolis, IN

http://wealdentool.com/acatalog/tips_18.html

Might help you a bit. Something to look over.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

Originally posted by radhak
                            You might want to take a look at the options offered at woodpeck. I have one of their combo packages, and that dust-collection cabinet below the router is a god-sent. You can mix-and-match to get a combo you like, of course.
                            I agree - the table prices here are good - the 24x32 center is very nicely priced, compared to others.

As for under-the-table cabinets, etc. - you might try looking through the recent issue of ShopNotes (http://www.shopnotes.com/). I believe you can get a copy at HD.
                            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jonmulzer
                              • Dec 2007
                              • Indianapolis, IN

I don't see that as a great value. It is still $400! If you went with a wood frame you could build that for around $100, but you still would not have any storage and would be losing all that space underneath to dead air.

Comment

Working...