Clear All
  • rcp612
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
    • Bosch 4100-09

Casters--Good/No Good ??

I was wondering about these http://www.grizzly.com/products/H0693
    as compared to these http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&filter=31870.
    They are close enough in spec for my needs but, very far apart in price.
    I've already used the Rockler casters and am pleased with them. But, the way things are right now, price is getting much more attention.
    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!
  • cwithboat
    • Jan 2008
    • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
    • Craftsman Pro 21829

After looking at BORG and the local hardware store, I found some nice ones at Lowes, but not the same style. You might check their website. I paid < $6 a piece.
    regards,
    Charlie
    A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
    Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

The ones from Grizzly are Woodstock International Branded. Reviews on Amazon for these are not pretty...

HERE

There are only 2 though, and I tend to disbelieve the overly gloating and the overly downing reviews as biased... If you read the reviews, it is kind of hard to tell if the reviewers are even talking about the same item...

I have used Casters from Woodstock International years ago to replace busted casters on an old Craftsman tool cart, they held up for 10 years in daily auto shop use before I sold it and got out of the business.

I would not hesitate to buy them. But be careful. Grizzly has some really inappropriate shipping charges!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I've used this http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-Gr...l-Caster/H0679 and its double locking counterpart http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-Gr...le-Brake/H0683 on several shop cabs and one of my benches with no problem. One heavy cab sat for more than a year in my garage and showed no flat spots when I moved it.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

For lighter applications (under 250#) I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Grizzly's. My DP cabinet rides on them and never had a problem with it.

Can't say for sure on the Rockler casters but they look to be about the same as the one's found in Woodcraft. Similar to the Grizzly in construction but almost twice the price. I did notice that the load rating specified for the tire. The problem on lower end, imported casters is that the swivel bearings are single row and will bind when turning under heavy loads.

On either of the ones you linked, I wouldn't exceed half of the rated load. That would put you safe to about 300# with 4 of either of the 3".
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

I used the Griz H0695 (4" variety) on my bench tool storage shelf and so far I love 'em. Very solid.
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

Just last night I ordered 4 3" total lock swivel casters from Hartville tool for $7.50 a piece. Link to the ones I ordered: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11883

With shipping total charges were $36.91. I checked price on four of the Grizzly's and total with shipping came to $36.20. The product description is very similar, but the Grizzly has a picture of a non-brake swivel. It would make me nervous to order these with the picture not matching the description - I'd be afraid I'd get shipped the wrong item. Also, The Hartville casters advertise a higher capacity - 220 pounds vs. 154 pounds for the Grizzly's.
              - Chris.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I have two sets of the 3" Hartville casters -- one set locking, one set not. They are very nice casters and go on sale for about 20% off fairly often (sorry about that, Chris). They do have a little more slack in the locking mechanism than the Woodcraft casters, but that's not uncommon.
                Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

The double-lockers from Hartville are a good wheel for a reasonable price. The WC's are a little better, I think, but much pricier. If you're really serious and have deep pockets, you can get some from Darnell-Rose that would hold up an aircraft carrier...

Comment

• mpauly
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • NJ

I have no real input on casters, but if you do buy from Hartville, you can get a 15% discount using the 'woodnet' code. Won't show on your on-line order, but will be reflected when charged to your card.

Michael

Comment

• docrowan
                      • Mar 2007
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

Dang it! I knew there was some kind of deal like that, but I couldn't remember what it was last night when I ordered. If I'd have taken the time to search the forum I'm sure I would have found it. Oh well, I'll probably be ordering from them again for my miter saw stand.
                      - Chris.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                        The double-lockers from Hartville are a good wheel for a reasonable price. The WC's are a little better, I think, but much pricier. If you're really serious and have deep pockets, you can get some from Darnell-Rose that would hold up an aircraft carrier...
                        I buy from Darnell-Rose and am generally in the same price range as the Woodcraft or Rockler casters. $11-$12 each for quality, American made casters backed by a 3 year warranty. On top of that, they will custom make your casters for you.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

Working...