Clear All
  • KLF
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Barrington NH
    • BT3000 (of course)

Calibrating a speed controller for your router

Been meaning to post this for awhile.

I am building a set of raised panel closet doors using a set of bits that I bought from Holbren, and I was warned not to run the large panel pit about about 10,000-11,000 rpm. My old Makita 3612BR router is single-speed, 23,000 rpm, too fast, but still a very nice router that I wanted to use. So I went to the local Rocker store and bought a speed controller. However, I figured the dial was not a linear scale, in other words setting it at 1/2 way would not necessarily mean the router was running at half-speed. Not wanting to trust my ear to find the speed I needed, I tried to find a way to calibrate the speed controller. Hmmm...

My dad passed away last Spring, and he was an avid airplane modeller. One of the many tools I found in his arsenal was an electronic RPM gauge for prop engines. It was pretty basic, you set a switch on the front for either a 2 or 3 blade prop, run the engine, then hold the thing so the sensor was in front of the spinning prop. Amazingly, it says on the box that it will read up to 35,000 rpm! Hmmm...

Finally getting started on this project, one of the next things I did was to go down to the Rockler store and snap up that nifty router table kit for $99. Heck of a deal, nice setup, huge upgrade on my router table. Then I started thinking about the speed controller issue again. Hmmm.... fished an old 1/4" arbor out of my stash of Craftsman router bits, then started hunting thru my tray of nylon bushings. But, what to use for a "prop"? I was afraid that even the hardest wood would fly apart if spin at these speeds, kinda dangerous. Wait... why not just use a plastic model airplane prop? Found a nice 4" prop at the local hobby shop for $2, and it looked like it would work:

Set it all up, and darned if it doesn't work like a champ:

What you see above is the business end of the router, mounted in the Rocker deck plate. The meter is now reading 11,500 rpm, with the speed controller all the way down at the "0" setting. Initially the rpm meter couldn't "find" the prop, and the fluorescent lights in the shop were messing it up. The index card and the super-bright Surefire flashlight washed out the background lighting, and it could see the prop. Sure enough, it reads all the way up to 22,400 rpm when I hit the "Full" toggle on the switch.

I made up an index card for the rpm at each index setting, will keep it in the speed controller box.
    Last edited by KLF; 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Interesting solution!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

See this post for my tachometer measurements on a Bosch 1617EVS compared to the factory charts... big surprise!

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...eed+tachometer
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-17-2008, 12:26 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• just started
        • Mar 2008
        • suburban Philly

KLF, be ready for the router to slow down when you start cutting, maybe even stall with the control knob in 0-2 range.
        Last edited by just started; 07-17-2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I did not have enough hands to try putting the router under load while measuring speed. However, my sense of pitch and the fact that it has constant speed control electronics tells me it doesn't slow appreciably under load when I'm using it.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• KLF
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2006
            • Barrington NH
            • BT3000 (of course)

Originally posted by just started
            KLF, be ready for the router to slow down when you start cutting, maybe even stall with the control knob in 0-2 range.
            Ya, I was wondering about that.

Comment

• os1kne
              • Jan 2003
              • Atlanta, GA
              • BT3100

Interesting solution, nice use of what you had available. And, nice flashlight!
              Bill

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                I did not have enough hands to try putting the router under load while measuring speed. However, my sense of pitch and the fact that it has constant speed control electronics tells me it doesn't slow appreciably under load when I'm using it.
                You tested the internal speed controller while he is testing an external box. Do the external speed control boxes compensate for load and maintain RPMs like the internal controls do? If not, then it really is possible that you could stall one.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I'd just run it at the slow speed and see if it does stall. Easy enough to test it and find out. If it does, hog most of the waste off with straight bits or a table saw before putting the larger panel raising bits on.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                    You tested the internal speed controller while he is testing an external box. Do the external speed control boxes compensate for load and maintain RPMs like the internal controls do? If not, then it really is possible that you could stall one.
                    external boxes can only compensate for loading if they have a speed feedback signal. Most general purpose speed contollers don't; there's no such thing as a standard speed sensor for routers and a connector for such... don't know anything about the one shown.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

One pro woodworker once explained to me that best way to set router speed and feed is to simply look at the wood that router cuts off. "You are supposed to get saw dust from table saw, router should produce shavings, not dust". Accurate enough?
                      Alex V

Comment

Working...