• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

JT360 Fence stop

As one of the many who took advantage of the Lowes clear out I finally got it all setup this weekend and have a question for other owners.

does anybody find that the positove 90 degree stop works perfectly on their machine? There are so many moving joints on the fence that mine wont just return to a perfect 90 and I'm not sure thats even possible. Its only a hair out and 2 seconds with an engineers sq and a couple of taps sets it dead on.

Overall I am very pleased with it, easy to use nice flat faces and crisp corners.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't know the answer to your question altho i have owned my JT360 for about 3 years.

I have used the fence at angles other than 90 degrees about one time.
    After every time I have set the fence to 90, I have done so with square and Wixey gauge... that would be twice (including original setup).

I occassionally check the fence anyway to make sure it is still at 90 and it always is, so its rock solid once set and after moving in and out.

I do recall setting the stop positions when initially setting up the machine, and I'm sure I pushed it to the stop when resetting to 90, but I don't recall how closely it came back.

So the answer might be, it doesn't matter because I don't depend on the stop to reset it because I don't change it that often.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Thanks Loring.

When set at the wide 90 degree position the back hex post of the fence sticks out quite a lot so I move it forward and up so I can get it as close to the wall as possible when stored. It looks like I will have to tweak it every - no big deal really as it takes less than a minute.

I did notice that some chips and debris still escape from around the dust chute, is this common? Has anybody sealed theirs, I was thinking of adding a small piece of foam door strip.
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
        Thanks Loring.

I did notice that some chips and debris still escape from around the dust chute, is this common? Has anybody sealed theirs, I was thinking of adding a small piece of foam door strip.
        yes... But I've been using a shopvac, my DC is on the other side of the garage and I don't have it "plumbed" up.
        abou 90% ends up in the vac, but the 10% remaining leaks out around the chute and cutterhead. I don't know if more suction (DC) will help. Seems like foam tape will be hard to seal the cutterhad area since moving the fence leaves different openings.

oh, and moving the fence in and out doesn't seem to affect the 90 deg setting. I though you were talking about setting the fence at 45 or something and then going back.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          yes... But I've been using a shopvac, my DC is on the other side of the garage and I don't have it "plumbed" up.
          abou 90% ends up in the vac, but the 10% remaining leaks out around the chute and cutterhead. I don't know if more suction (DC) will help. Seems like foam tape will be hard to seal the cutterhad area since moving the fence leaves different openings.

oh, and moving the fence in and out doesn't seem to affect the 90 deg setting. I though you were talking about setting the fence at 45 or something and then going back.
          I am using a DC with plenty of SUCK and still seem to get that 10% thats on the floor. I cant tell exactly where its comming from some is from the cutter head and I cant do much about that but I think that some is leaking from around the joints of the dust shroud.
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• dsb1829
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2008

I am another one of the Lowe's recipients. I find that the fence can be set to return to 90 repeatably if the fence touches the table. Of course then it rattles and also can scrape the bed when moving it in and out. So I leave mine with about 1/16-1/8" gap. In this instance a square check is in order when returning it to position. Of course I do think a tool like this should be checked before running anything through it. It only takes a minute to grab a square and make sure.

Comment

Working...