• Show
Clear All
  • drunkcat
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Elgin IL
    • BTK

Band saw motor--strange sound

I recently moved and I am finally getting my bandsaw (Griz G0555) back together after almost a year in storage. For the first time I shimmed the bottom wheel to get it coplaner ( I have the riser). When I put the wheel and the belt back on I am getting a clicking (more of a soft thud) when I run the motor or spin the wheel by hand. It sounds like its coming from the motor. I took the belt back off and the wheel turns easily and quetly on its own. I ran the motor with the belt off and it was fine. When I put the belt on the click came back! argh!

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I just email Grizz.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Sounds like it might be a flat spot on the belt.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

If you put the blade part of a screwdriver on the housing where you think the noise is coming from, put the end of the handle to your ear, and turn the wheel, you should be able to verify if it's coming from there or not. Possibly a bearing?

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• iceman61
        • Oct 2007
        • West TN
        • Bosch 4100-09

I'm leaning towards the flat spot on the belt also.
        Last edited by iceman61; 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the motor and the wheel turn at two different RPMs due to the difference in pulleys and the belt. The belt turns at a third, much lower RPM which is a function of the pulley RPM and the belt length. You should be able to tell which RPM the noise is ocurring at to isolate the cause. Like someone said, it might well be a flat spot in the belt... a link belt might be a worthwhile addition to the bandsaw at this point.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gjat
            • Nov 2005
            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
            • BT3100

There are a few simple problems that can be causing this, especially considering the saw's been in storage for months.

First thing, make sure none of the guides or bearings have been knocked or misaligned and no creatures have died inside and are sticking to something.

1- Drive belt has formed a stiff kink where it went around the motor pulley. Try running the saw without the blad but the drive belt on. Replace the belt if you hear the noise.

2- Blade may have developed stiffness kink. Try running the saw with a different blade.

3- Tire on on the large pulley's may have developed a flat spot. If a different blade still makes the noise, set up a guage while turning the wheels to check for a flat spot.

Good luck!

Comment

• drunkcat
              Established Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Elgin IL
              • BTK

Thanks for all the idears. I still cant isolate the sound. I'll try a new belt and report back.

Thanks again!

Comment

• drunkcat
                Established Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Elgin IL
                • BTK

Just to finish the story...Grizzly tech support recommended I open up the motor. There was nothing obviously wrong so they advised I change to bearings in the motor (which looked and felt fine). I was skeptical...but we are back in action! I have no idea why or how it was the bearings. Kudos to Grizzly tech support for walking me through the motor work on the telephone.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Not to hijack this thread, but are link belts all they're cracked up to be?

I'm really tired of spending/wasting money on stuff that sounds good but doesn't live up to all the hype.

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                    Not to hijack this thread, but are link belts all they're cracked up to be?

I'm really tired of spending/wasting money on stuff that sounds good but doesn't live up to all the hype.

Bruce
                    Just make sure you ge the right size. I mistakenly bough two 1/2" link belts for my DP. After fighting with the for a couple of hours, I discovered that I needed 3/8" — not as common or easy to find.
                    With the right belts, the DP is quieter and has less vibration. A good investment, from my perspective.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

For anyone interested, Grizzly has the 3/8" belts. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Powe...3-8-x-4-/G3639

Comment

Working...