• Show
Clear All
  • Gator95
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Atlanta GA
    • Ridgid 3660

More noise with Zero-Clearance TP?

Made a zero-clearance template for my saw last weekend. Did some quick cuts today without my earmuffs and noticed a distinct whine that was not present when I'd had the stock throatplate in the saw.

Is this normal? Does the template break in over time?

Saw is a Ridgid 3660, blade is a Forrest WWII with less than 0.003" runnout at the blade gullets, made the template out of 1/2" MDF.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

"Is this normal? Does the template break in over time?"

Yes and Yes
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I've been using the factory ZCTPs and the whine was louder at first, but it did get a little quieter. It also changes sounds between what blades I have in the saw too.
      Erik

Comment

• Sawatzky
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • CA
        • Ridgid TS3650

I have a TS3650 and just added a woodworker II as well. I do notice more of a whine with that blade than the old Hitachi I had on it before. It does not bother me, I think it is just a different blade. Maybe that is what high end blades sound like!

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

A ZCI is safer and the finish product they produce is of higher quality than you'll receive with a stock throat plate. Those two reasons alone are worth the little extra noise you get with a ZCI.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have not seen a zero clearance yet that won't whine to a certain degree. Every saw has some run-out and the teeth are scraping on the side of the opening the blace originally made when raised. Especially on phonelic plates. I don't care for the sound but I especially don't care from the side of the carbide teeth rubbing at over 4000 rpm as that produces heat and wear.

My solution when installing one is to raise the blade and make the initial opening. Then I take it off the saw and open up about 1mm on each side of that hole with a file or rasp. Stops the whine.. stops the teeth rubbing and it doesn't make a big difference not being a true zero clearance from my experience.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would agree with Sarge,,, just take some sandpaper to the edges of the ZCTP blade opening and knock off a mil or two until it stops making the objectionable noise.
              techniaue - clamp the ZCTP in a vise on edge. Use a side strip of sheet sandpaper 6" or more wide and holding the ends in your hands work it back and forth from end to end of the slot while "sawing" it through the slot.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...