• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buck23
    Handtools only
    • May 2008
    • So. Cal.

Drill opinions.

I'm trying to choose between two cordless drills. Either a Craftsman 19.2V or Hitachi 14.4V. I got both as gifts & only need one. The Craftsman has more torque and higher voltage but I think the batteries are Ni-Cad. The Hitachi is lighter & Li-Ion. I'm leaning toward the Craftsman but thought I'd see what you guys think.

Craftsman C3:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911548000P

Hitachi DS14DFL 14.4 Volt Li-Ion: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DS14DF...0521436&sr=1-1
    Thanks for any opinions and suggestions.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

If I was to buy everything again new I would tend toward Lithium batteries. However if the craftsman you have also has the right angle drill I would keep that one as there are times when it will really come in handy.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the Li-Ion battery system is more expensive but much better battery system than NiCad in almost all respects except cost. Lighter, smaller, more charge cycles, better lifetime, more capacity etc.

Given a choice with cost not factored in, the Li-Ion drill would probably be my choice unless you are enamored of the big "SYSTEM" of interchangeable Craftsman tools you can get.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I think I'd keep the Hitachi for the Li-Ion battery. The Cman 19.2v is a pretty big drill and has Ni-CAD batteries. It's powerful enough but is a handful for marathon sessions and delicate work. On the other hand, there are a bunch of handy accessories for that C3 platform, including a Li-Ion battery pack/charger.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• buck23
          Handtools only
          • May 2008
          • So. Cal.

The Craftsman has more torque but I have the same reservations about Ni-cads mentioned. Although, I have a Ni-cad drill I bought at HF for ~$30 years ago that still works but, the battery capacity is dropping. Either one will be an improvement.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

Whatever you buy make sure it has a 1/2" chuck, at some point you'll get frustrated if it doesn't.

this is just my opinion but once you step up past needing a 14.4v tool you should use a corded tool. the bulk and heft of a 18v and beyond Nicad or Nimh drill has no advantage over a corded unit except when you are working somewhere where "plugging in" is not practical. a $75 corded drill has significantly more power then a $150 cordless drill and it's power supply will never wear out and need expensive replacement.

with Lithium batteries it is a different story. the size and weight is reduced so I see them as practical as a 14.4v.

my point is; get a 14.4v. getting a bigger cordless drill of marginal benefit.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Handy Al
              Established Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Worthington, OH, USA.
              • BT3100

I bought the Craftsman a couple of months ago to finish a project after my Ridgid 18V died and I didn't have time to deal with the warranty. I went with the Craftsman because of previsous experience, the assortment of "add-ons", and the fact you can upgrade to the lithium battery.
              "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• goslin23
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Richmond, TX
                • Rigid TS3650

I have the Craftsman C3 set up as well. It's a decent drill and they now have the Li-ion battery packs available for them (which I'll upgrade to as my ni-cads die). I found a kit at the flea market for $64 that had a drill, fluorescent light, vacuum, jig saw, trim saw and a bag. I already had the drill/driver set with a charger and 2 batteries so it was a gloatworthy find. I still want to add the right angle drill and the recip saw to my collection.

-=gos=-
                Attached Files
                If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

Working...