X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ksum
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

It sounds as if you have a 2 car garage. If so, really think about a layout that will allow you to minimize the need to move tools. You mentioned an alcove that sounds as if you could almost have your main tools in a location that works for most woodworking. If it is a 2 car garage, I would keep my car outside in order to keep the tools in a good location. Keep them well away from the second bay and have your "tool parking plan" if your car needs to come in.

I have a 2 hp Bridgewood DC. I am lucky to have the breaker box in the garage, and plenty of spare slots, so 220 receptacles are possible for me. I can't remember the manufacturer's claimed CFM off the top of my head, but it was definitly big enough to handle the piping. Over 1000, I think around 1200-1250. I don't have the tools to measure actual airflow, but can annecdotedly say that it is more than sufficient. And remember that the manufacturer's claims may be higher than your actual results.

The shop is a 1 car garage. I have my band saw and table saw against 1 wall. If someone were cutting on each machine, the 2 would be facing each other. Standing at the table saw, the router table is behind you, agains the same side wall. The DC would be behind you when you are cutting at the bandsaw. That all lines the left wall of my 1 car garage as you walk in from the garage door. It starts with the DC, and ends with the router table. A 6" pipe goes up the wall at floor level for these. There is a wye for a branch between the 2 saws that runs a 6" pvc the same width as the table saw. From there, I have 2 flex pipes that attach to the thickness planer and jointer. When I am not using these, the hoses are typically disconnected and the tools rolled against the back wall. When in use, I connect the hoses as if they were permanent. All table heights are the same, so they work well as in/out feeds. For wider boards, I roll the tool away from the wall. Honestly, that doesn't happen much. The real trick was to line the band saw blade with the table saw blade for longer boards. Often, however, I simply angle the table saw enough to pass to the side of the bandsaw blade.

Immediately after the above mentioned wye is another one, with the branch going up. (There are gates at all upstream sections of the wyes to close them off immediatly) I cut a hole in a 45 degree bend to accept a 4" flex hose connector and glued that in place. This is the section for the table saw. After the bend, there is a 6x4 reducer to run up for a shark guard. Continuing straight from this wye takes you to the router table.

Currently my longest 6" PVC run is about 15'. That does not count the overhead section for the shark guard, which is 4". From the dust collector, there is about a 30" section, then the 1st wye for between the saws. The table saw has about 7' of 6" PVC to the 4' flex for the saw base, with an 8' run of 4" overhead to a 2 1/2" flex down from the deiling for the shark guard. That flex is maybe 5' long. There is a gate on each of these. On the 4" because I had an extra, on the shark guard run because I don't always use it (for example on dados). The longest run goes to the router table. It has an end cap that I drilled 2 holes in, and glued a 4" and a 2 1/2" flex hose coupler into. The 4" goes under the router table, and the 2 1/2" to the fence. A gate on both allows me to adjust flow, or not even use one. I do have to vent someplace if I just use the small section. Currently this 2 1/2" hose is a full 10' length, but only because I don't want to cut it yet. This is the only place where I didn't minimize the flex length. If I was not happy with the results I get I would have shortened the length.

My overall setup allows me to roll the tools to storage locations and put a car in if I want. I would just have to take off the 3' section of pipe between the saws. It is all slipped together, so that is easy. Fortunatly I don't often put the car in there, so I can remain set up. The wife's car has only been in there twice in 3 years. Once when we first moved in, a second time just to see if it could be done after adding the tools.

Karl

Comment

• mdutch
      Established Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Dallas, TX, USA.

Originally posted by ksum
      It sounds as if you have a 2 car garage. If so, really think about a layout that will allow you to minimize the need to move tools. [snip] If it is a 2 car garage, I would keep my car outside in order to keep the tools in a good location. Keep them well away from the second bay and have your "tool parking plan" if your car needs to come in.
      Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha.....
      aaaahahahahaha....
      hahaha.
      haha...
      aaaha.
      /wipes eyes;
      Karl, I love you man. I already DO keep my car outside. I'm MARRIED.
      SHE uses the garage.

But seriously, your post is great. I'll take a look at that Bridgewood DC and dig out my ducting plan. I'm thinking of bumping up 'cause I'm selling a kidney on Craigslist to see if I can pay for that 12" Grizzly Jointer-Planer! I mean, if I don't need a planer because its a combo, I'm ALREADY SAVING MONEY, right?
      Dutch·man Pronunciation (dchmn)n.
      3. Something used to conceal faulty construction.
      Another DFW BT3'er!

Comment

• ksum
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by mdutch
        Karl, I love you man. I already DO keep my car outside. I'm MARRIED.
        SHE uses the garage.
        So I guess it is a 1 car garage, or are you using 1 bay?

Originally posted by mdutch
        I'll take a look at that Bridgewood DC and dig out my ducting plan.
        Unfortunatly Wilke stopped selling the Bridgewood machines, so don't spend your time looking for their dust collector. Besides, it was a little pricey compared to comperably spec'd models. I happened to go to their showroom for my band saw and the wife, who has some bad dust and wood allergies, saw the dust collectors. She asked about them, and told me to get one. I was going to try to get a cyclone at a later date, but had to take that opportunity for the easy way out! For some reason, there was a sale on the one I got. Since I also picked up a dented band saw (minor dent on the top of the cabinet) I ended up getting both for the price I expected to pay for just the saw.

My recommendation is to set a budget for the collector, research what is available, revise the budget if need be, then see if you can go for more $ and get a cyclone. :-P

Remember, CFM requirements are at the tools. Smooth walled pipe has less loss than flex pipe. Same is true for larger diameter pipe, although there is a trade off between CFM and velocity. A 24" pipe would have too little velocity to carry much more than fine particles. I probably should have used 5" for my system, but I was not about to spend the $ for metal duct work. Also, some flex hose is smother inside that other. If you have long sections, spend the little extra for the better hose.

Once all that is done, recognize that whatever you get, you will probably find that you still need some sort of air filtration. You can either build that yourself with a box fan and furnace filter, or even a used furnace blower, scrap wood, and furnace filters, or buy one. Yep! Wranglin' dust keeps adding up. Jsut do it in steps and you won't notice what you are spending...

Selling a kidney, A'? Sounds better than being used for research at Johns Hopkins. I think you gave me a way to get that better jointer. Want an old Craftsman 6" model?

Karl

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Here is that DC calculating worksheet. Wood mag also had a recent DC test article but I think you now have to pay to download it. They did comment that in their tests no DC was able to get close to their quoted numbers in real conditions.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...-needs/?page=1

I just did a very rough calc and to duct a run to the center of a 25' sq space if the DC was in a corner using 4" plastic pipe and some 4" flex and some 2.5" flex with a few elbows and ys you would end up with an SP loss of around 8. If you wanted to run to the opposite corner you would double the pipe length for an SP of over 10 which I belive is way more than your average small DC to cope with. So its important to spec the DCs for SP as well as CFM.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

Working...