• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwithboat
    • Jan 2008
    • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
    • Craftsman Pro 21829

Craftsman fine finish blade (32259)

I have a 10" blade with a kerf of 3/32". The expansion slots are 7/8" deep. It is not hollow ground. I can find no reference to it on the Sears web site.

The question is; what are the limitations on this blade? Depth of cut, rip/crosscut, material?
    regards,
    Charlie
    A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
    Rudyard Kipling
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwithboat
    I have a 10" blade with a kerf of 3/32". The expansion slots are 7/8" deep. It is not hollow ground. I can find no reference to it on the Sears web site.

The question is; what are the limitations on this blade? Depth of cut, rip/crosscut, material?
    Lot of missing info.
    are they expansion slots (usually thin, j-hook or labyrinth) or gullets?
    No. of teeth?
    Carbide?
    Tooth configuration? FT, ATB,
    hook angle? - how much and positive or negative
    CLose up icture of about 5-teeth section would be useful to guess.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwithboat
      • Jan 2008
      • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
      • Craftsman Pro 21829

Sorry Loring, I was in a hurry, we had to take a cat to the vet.
      Attached Files
      regards,
      Charlie
      A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
      Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

offhand, it looks like a 60-tooth carbide blade, with modest sized gullets and a 10-15 degree hook angle, probably intended for cross cutting on a table saw. The carbide is small, the higher priced blades have thicker (bigger) carbides for more sharpenings.
        CAn't see the tooth configuration whether a ATB (top bevels) or not (where alternate teeth have come to a point on the right or left to facilitate cutting the grain rather than tearing as a flat top tooth would do) for a cleaner cut.

I forgot to add, it's a rather pedestrian blade, not their super high-end, "Best" quality they used to advertise; They would have thicker carbide and usually those would be labelled "Craftsman Professional" and "Excalibur".
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-30-2008, 09:04 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Craftsman changes blade vendors quite often so it's hard to narrow it down...could be an Irwin Classic, B&D, Oldham, or some other, definitely nothing too fancy. As Loring points out, it does have a slightly positive hook angle. It looks to be made from stamped steel as opposed to laser cut, and if you look really close you can see that the carbide height alternates just a bit as it protrudes above the blade shoulder, which indicates that its likely an Alternating Top Bevel grind (ATB), but there could surely be some hidden flat or chamfered rakers in there too. It should be fine for general crosscutting on a TS or CMS to full blade height, and should be able to rip a bit to an inch to maybe 1-1/2" depending. Probably not a good choice for a RAS or SCMS. Try it as long as everything looks up to snuff!

Be sure to keep the cat away from it!
          Last edited by Knottscott; 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...