• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

12" Miter saw specs

recent posts about Hitachi 12" mitersaws like C12FCH and C12FDH reconditioned available for around $130-150 got me interested.

I was comparing specs and I think my 10" CMS will cut a 3-1/2" wide 4x4 although every once in a while its its a tad bit bigger it will not quite cut through the fourth corner.

I was very surprised to see the spec on the Hitachi that it will only cut 2-1/2" deep or basically 2-1/2" thick boards, even with its 12" blade?

Then somewhere is abother spec I saw it will cut 2-3/4" thick, 8" wide material OR 3-1/2" thick, 7-1/2" wide material. How do they do that - doesn't it require a shift in fence position?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Then somewhere is abother spec I saw it will cut 2-3/4" thick, 8" wide material OR 3-1/2" thick, 7-1/2" wide material. How do they do that - doesn't it require a shift in fence position?
    Maybe. It's more likely that the blade guard is in the way if you try to cut 3-1/2" thick 8" wide boards.
    -Joe

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

My Hitachi C12FDH will cut a 4x4 easily. I just took a scrap and tried it. My Pro-Tech 10 inch typically left a little piece that had to be cut with another saw. It would cut taller material than 3 1/2. It would also cut wider pieces at this thickness. I don't think it would do 8 inches but looks like it could cut a 4x6 pretty easily. I also think it could do a 6x6.

I noticed the "specs" too. They repeat pretty much the same things in the owners manual. The owners manual says it will cut 3 1/2 inches x 7 1/2 inches at 0 degrees. It will cut 8 inches wide but only up to 2 3/4 inches thick. The miter and bevel specs tals about 2 3/4 or less thick material, not 3 1/2. I do not know about bevel cuts but I see no reason miters will not work at 3 1/2 inches thick - the width would just be a bit less. I think the specs are just directed more at maximum width than they are maximum thicknesses.

Some people like to cut base up against the fence (upright). For mitering, that can be handy because miter settings are easier to set than bevel. I tried pieces of scrap to get a feel for that capability. I had to flip the guard up a bit with my thumb to get a 6 1/2 inch wide piece under the guard. So easily you could do 6 inches wide upright against the fence. The fence is 5 inches high at it's maximum points so it would be pretty well supported. I would do 6 1/2 if I needed to but 7 inches would put you very close to the blade in it's upright position.

The 90 tooth Hitachi blade I got with the saw leaves a very nice cut. I could have gotten it for less from Amazon but didn't know that at the time.

Jim
      Last edited by JimD; 04-28-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...