X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLyon
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Router & router table vs Shaper

I've been itching to get a router & router table setup, but then found this at Grizzly. Anyone use a shaper rather than a router setup? Pros and cons?

Thanks
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

i think you have a huge variaty of option in terms of patterns with a shaper and its going to be purely dedicated for this only. i guess if you are going to be doing a ton of routing, then the shaper is the appropriate tool.

however with a router, the advantage is that you can remove it and is portable and you then you can put back when the router table is necessary. i think for weekend warriors, i think the router + router table setup is better suited, primarily because of being the router being portable.

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

I think you'll find that for the home workshop a router and router table are much more versatile than a shaper. When it comes to price and availability router bits are much cheaper (even high quality ones) and can be found everywhere. Depending on the router, the wood being cut and the profile, multiple cuts sometimes need to be done to get a quality edge.
      Shapers will hog off tons of material in a single pass with quality results. However the price of quality cutters is quite high compared to router bits and availability is much less. I know you can get cutters custom cut to whatever profile you want, this gets done in restoration projects quite a bit. I'm sure the service is pricey but it's an option. I'm sure others will chime in but that's what I can think of working on my first cup of coffee. Good luck with your choice. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

for home shop use the router and router table wll be very much more useful and flexible.

Previous discussion:
        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...=router+shaper
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• DLyon
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006

Thanks for all the replys!

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Biggest drawback is the cost of the cutters, like Pat said.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Holbren
              • Oct 2004
              • Heathrow, FL.

Those small shapers aren't powerful enough to spin the larger shaper cutters and don't spin fast enough for some router bits. I would go with the router table as you'll find most of what you use it for is not making cabinet doors or other pieces where a shaper may provide more benefit.

IMO, if you're looking for a shaper, 3HP+ and be prepared to pay for the cutters as mentioned.
              Brian
              Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              www.holbren.com

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Router expert extraordinaire Pat Warner has a brief but informative comparison of routers vs. shapers on his web site.
                Larry

Comment

Working...