• Show
Clear All
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

Old Lathe - Worth looking At?

I have never used a lathe. Just wondering if this is worth investigating and what I should look for. He is asking $50 for the lathe on CL:

Old, cast iron wood lathe. There is no brand name but it came from my faher-in-law 25 yrs ago with some other tools marked "Dunlap". I believe Dunlap was an early version of Craftsman but this is only a guess.

Overall length of the lathe is 36". The bed would accommodate a piece up to 24" long. Turning diameter would be up to 8". Morse taper spur center with replacements, live center. Head and tailstock operate smoothly. (There is no face chuck for doing bowls. ) There are two tool rests (one is home made). The lathe is not mounted and would need a table or bench. There is a motor for it also.

I am also selling a set of Craftsman cutting tools in excellent shape separately for $20.00.

These items are part of a major clean up of my house/basement and have a ton of other items/tools, etc. I am planning a garage sale on April 25-26. It will be a "man's garage sale" which hopefully doesn't sound sexist.
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

I will bet the bearings on it are made of sintered bronze. But they are easy to replace.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You can have a lot of fun for $50.

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

I was disappointed when I went to see it. Single speed and no... ummm.. chuck... thingy...
        Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by dkerfoot
          I was disappointed when I went to see it. Single speed and no... ummm.. chuck... thingy...

Does it have the capabilities to add stepped pulleys?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

use www.owwm.com as a resource for info on old woodworking tools and their manufacturers.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dkerfoot
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Holland, Michigan
              • Craftsman 21829

I am going to ask over at OWWM, but perhaps someone here can help. The lathe is a bit unusual because of its color. It is a somewhere between yellow and beige. Who knows? It may have been bright yellow 60 years ago.

I did a quick scan of all the pictures of lathes at OWWM and there weren't any that resembled it.

The FIL who gave it to him tended to buy at Sears, but he doesn't know if that is where it came from. There is no name plate on it, so Dunlap was a guess. From my research, I don't think it is.

Any idea what the brand may be?
              Doug Kerfoot

KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...