• Show
Clear All
  • avaserfi
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Ames, IA
    • No room for one - yet. :(

Caliper Suggestions?

I am looking for an analogue/dial caliper that can measure accurately up to 8". I was recommended both Starrett and Mitutoyo, but these seem to be out of my price range. I am trying to find a balance between price and accuracy trying to keep it around $30 or so, but will pay more for quality, if needed.
    -Andrew
  • sd
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003

Brown and Sharpe dial calipers are excellent. Mitutoyo is also very good, but the El Cheapo calipers you can get from Harbor Fright or Enco are actually just about as accurate as the brand names. Bear in mind that a dial caliper is not considered a precision instrument by metalworking standards; for better accuracy, you would need to buy a set of micrometers.
    -- Steve

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

are you using them for woodworking? precise in woodworking is 1/64", that's +/- .016, any calipers can hit that. calipers from HF would work fine. Enco has "Fowler" brand 8" calipers on the economy side, about $55, they are pretty good quality.

keep in mind that dust likes to find its way into the rack/gears in a dial caliper. Digital has no rack/gears to jamb up.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• iceman61
        • Oct 2007
        • West TN
        • Bosch 4100-09

I picked up a pair of digital calipers at Tractor Supply for around $10. I probably wouldn't use them for tool & die work but the tolerances are good enough for metals shop fabrication & for woodworking.

Comment

• avaserfi
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2007
          • Ames, IA

I will be using the caliper in conjunction with a jig and my router to cut hole out of ply for mounting speaker drivers.

Do you guys think this one would work well then? It is on sale at HF for $17. I will gladly spend less if I can get away with it.
          -Andrew

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have found the HF calipers in the 6" size to be a great buy. I don't really find any difference in operations, or meaurements or even fit and finish when i compare them to the $150 mitutoyo calipers at work. I own at least 2 pair from HF.

I imagine the 8" capacity would be just as good, they're bigger and they sell quite a few less as the 6" size is most popular, so they cost more. I would have suggested them had you not specifically said you wanted analog dial type.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• avaserfi
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2007
              • Ames, IA

Thanks for the suggestions. I will head to HF tomorrow and check out the caliper. Since its only $17 right now I think I can swing it .
              -Andrew

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Here's an 8" analog that may or may not be better than HF.

Comment

• iceman61
                  • Oct 2007
                  • West TN
                  • Bosch 4100-09

I overlooked the analog spec.

Comment

Working...