• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

T-slot router bits

I know this has been discussed before and I reviewed the past threads.
    At the time the only T-slot bits known were to fit the flat-oval head special t-bolts.

Does anyone now know of a T-slot router bit thats designed to properly fit
    1/4-20 Hex head bolts or 5/16-18 hex head bolts?

going to the wood show in Houston Friday... would pick one up if I knew who had one.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    I know this has been discussed before and I reviewed the past threads.
    At the time the only T-slot bits known were to fit the flat-oval head special t-bolts.

Does anyone now know of a T-slot router bit thats designed to properly fit
    1/4-20 Hex head bolts or 5/16-18 hex head bolts?

going to the wood show in Houston Friday... would pick one up if I knew who had one.

I did find one but it was from China and only a right hander. Or, take a look at this one and see if it'll work.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I don't think the 1/4" hex head has enough material to work in a wooden t-slot. I think tightening the apparatus would cause the head of the bolt to pull right through.

The heads of the Rockler t-bolts are a hair over 1/2" wide, and the Rockler bit cuts a 5/8" slot. As you tighten the t-bolts in the slot, they turn a little bit so the bolt flats have more to grab on in the slot. This allows you to get them very tight without the risk of pulling them through.

The problem w/ t-slot bolts from Rockler is that they're kinda pricey. However, most of my jigs don't require too many of them. I think the cost savings in not having to purchase the track makes up for the cost of the bolts (which I often reuse by moving from one seldomly used jig to another).

In a pinch, you can use toilet bolts from the hardware store. However, you'll typically have to cut them down because they are usually quite long. And they aren't cheap, either. Although, I have seen cheaper sources of t-slot bolts than Rockler.

For those that haven't used the Rockler system, you first route a 3/8" groove in the wood using a straight bit, then you use the Rockler 5/8" slot bit to convert your groove into a t-slot.

Here is the bit I'm talking about. I've used these extensively and love 'em: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ilter=t%2Dslot

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've got a t-slot bit from Lee Valley, but honestly don't know what size it is and can't check until tomorrow....let me know if you still need the info then and I'll take a look.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by Dustmight
          I've got a t-slot bit from Lee Valley, but honestly don't know what size it is and can't check until tomorrow....let me know if you still need the info then and I'll take a look.
          The Lee Valley bit (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46168,46176) has a minor diameter of 5/16, and a major diameter of 9/16. So this would fit the Rockler bolts, as well as the standard toilet bolt. But I think having a little larger (5/8") major diameter would allow more "grab" because of the way the head can rotate a little to catch the material.

The Lee Valley bits are nice in that they can cut everything in a single pass. The Rockler requires two passes (one w/ straight bit, one with slot bit).

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I found one at the show today - by Woodline of Az.
            WL-1291-5

Almost perfect:
            Lg dia. 15/32" (.468) (Need to pass 7/16 or .435 across flats for hex head but not pass .488 min across points)
            Sm Dia. 9/32" (.280) (Need to pass .250 shank dia.)
            Ht. of slot 9/64 (0.140") (the height is a bit short; ideally want about .165 to pass thickness of hex head but I can lower the bit and make another pass .030 or 1/32nd deeper).
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-05-2008, 02:47 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I just use toilet flange bolts in a regular t-slot. Works for me.

Jim

Comment

• cbrown
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Massachusetts
                • BT3100

I have used "keyhole" router bits (and two slightly offset passes) to make slots for hex head bolts.

Chris

Comment

Working...