• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Time For A Tormek?

I've had this HF wet/dry grinder for about a year, but only used it for a couple of hours. It seems the drive system for the wet wheel is an aluminum worm gear, and the drive gear on the cross axle is PLASTIC. Well, the plastic gear is sheared off to a nice round chunk.

I don't have the receipt, and thought if I can't get a refund or credit, maybe an exchange. This one might just have been defective from the factory. I'll be lookin' at the Tormek, or the Delta.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hmmm. Soft meets softer. what the heck were they thinking for wear parts?
    oh, I guess they were thinking, after we get his money we'll never see this guy again.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

No gears in a green Tormek - the business end of the motor is a friction drive against the wheel pulley. The green machine is continuously rated. HTH

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

Lesson learned. Before buying anything such as this from HF, head to the screwdriver section first so you can take apart the display and see how it ticks and find out if you want it.

Most of the reviews I have seen rate the JET slow speed sharpener higher than the Tormek, regardless of price. Have you considered saving $100 and going with the JET?

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...ekcomparo.html
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by jonmulzer
          Lesson learned. Before buying anything such as this from HF, head to the screwdriver section first so you can take apart the display and see how it ticks and find out if you want it.

Most of the reviews I have seen rate the JET slow speed sharpener higher than the Tormek, regardless of price. Have you considered saving $100 and going with the JET?

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...ekcomparo.html

Thanks for the link. The Jet does have many advantages over the Tormek. I just haven't done my research I guess. I've got a few others to look at too. At the time the HF unit was on sale for around $35, and that is what my budget yelled for. You're right, lesson learned.

Comment

• Jay
            Handtools only
            • May 2006

Grizzly has a new 10 inch wet grinder (P/N: T10010) you might want to look into. Its only $169.00.

http:///www.grizzly.com/products/10-...der-Kit/T10010

I bought one about a month ago and haven’t had much time to use it - but it runs very smoothly. I think Scheppach is making it for Grizzly. It has the same specs as Tiger2500 Scheppach Sharpening System, which is only sold in Europe. The box the grind stone came in had a Scheppach label underneath a cheesy label that Grizzly slapped on.

I've just started to learn to carve and I am very new to sharpening, so I don’t really feel qualified to give it a review yet. I have found that it will accept most of the Tormek Jigs. I bought a Tormek profiled leather honing wheel that won’t work without getting an adapter. (Grizzly shaft is M8, & the shaft for the Tormek wheel is M12). The Grizzly instructions are horrible. But if you go to the Tormek site they have videos about using their jigs. I found a Tormek Handbook online that helped a bunch at www.tormekshop.com.au.

Comment

• mnmphd
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

My friend has the Tormek and I was considering it myself, but
              I decided on the JET. for the following

1. Price - it was $100 cheaper. I also got a show special which came with
              the extra base, cover, maybe something else?

2. Variable speed lets you adjust the linear speed of the stone as it wears down.

Overall I am happy with. I haven't gotten as much use on it, mainly because
              it is in another room, and I have to set it up each time. I am in the process
              of setting up a station with this as well as a VS bench grinder for more aggressive metal removal on some old and rusted tools I am restoring.

After using both the Jet and Tormek I didn't see any big difference. The Jet being the more recent entry has a few differences, that are nice, but not missed if you didn't have it.
              The jigs are compatible, so if you know someone with a jig you will rarely use,
              you may be able to borrow it. That was my plan but I also got those on discount so I pretty much got them all.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

The same thing happened to my grinder (same HF model as yours) last year and I ordered two new gears from HF. So far, the first replacement is doing OK.

It certainly is no Tormek!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Holbren
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Heathrow, FL.

Rumor is the Tormek is going up in price soon because of the exchange rate. You might want to jump now or look at the Jet. The Worksharp seems like a nice easy to use system too.
                  Brian
                  Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  www.holbren.com

Comment

• Whaler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Sequim, WA, USA.
                    • DW746

I have been thinking about either the Jet or the Tormek and I am leaning towards the Jet. I just called my local Woodcraft and they have them in stock at $299.95. Don't think I can pass that up.
                    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

This looks too good to be true.

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

Jump on that unless the motor's blown. I have the Jet and it works well. I have no real complaints. They should include the diamond truing jig though, as mine was well out when I got it. After I trued the wheel though, it's worked well for me.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Stumbled on a incredible deal on a near-new Tormek with all the trimmings last year. Like it a lot. That said, if I were buying new, I would probably save the hundred and get the Jet. Takes all the Tormek jigs, anyway. The 2-speed on the Jet is nice, but to tell the truth, I don't miss it on the Tormek. Only thing better about the Tormek is the wheel. Theirs is proprietary material, and the reviews I read when I was looking says it gives a better edge, particularly on some of the hi-tech micro-grain steels now being used in edged tools. YMMV.

Comment

• Whaler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Sequim, WA, USA.
                            • DW746

I picked up the Jet today at Woodcraft for $299.95 and was given an extra 10% off as they are going to give it at the upcoming woodworking show, out the door for $269.99 plus tax.
                            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...