Bosch Jigsaw 1587 - what are the letters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agent511
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • TS3650

Bosch Jigsaw 1587 - what are the letters?

I am looking at used and older versions of the Bosch 1587 Jigsaw. The current one is 1587AVSK. They have what looks like an identical verision 1587AVSP that comes with extra free blades. I see older versions 1587AVS and 1587VS. what does the 'K' represent? Is the 'k' the 'kase'? is the 'p' for 'plus' blades? I take it the VS is 'variable speed'. Ao what is the 'A'??

I don't want to buy an older version an lose an important feature.

Anyone know the code?

Also does the older versions missing any other features in terms of blade attachment or shoe adjustment, or blower, etc.?
    darksider
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Originally posted by agent511
    I am looking at used and older versions of the Bosch 1587 Jigsaw. The current one is 1587AVSK. They have what looks like an identical verision 1587AVSP that comes with extra free blades. I see older versions 1587AVS and 1587VS. what does the 'K' represent? Is the 'k' the 'kase'? is the 'p' for 'plus' blades? I take it the VS is 'variable speed'. Ao what is the 'A'??

I don't want to buy an older version an lose an important feature.

Anyone know the code?

Also does the older versions missing any other features in terms of blade attachment or shoe adjustment, or blower, etc.?
    Look at where the old one is made. I don't know for sure, but I believe the A may be for Asia, as the old one was made in Switzerland.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• agent511
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Philadelphia
      • TS3650

I don't know what the 'A' stands for, but I think that 'Asian' is a real stretch as a guess....
      darksider

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I don't know either what the letters stand for but a 1587 is a 1587. My uneducated guess is that the letters stand for nothing other than different accessory packages that Bosch put together to go with the 1587.

Comment

• agent511
          Established Member
          • Jun 2005
          • Philadelphia
          • TS3650

The 1587VS i saw for sale was in a steel case, so it must be very old. I am certain that there have been major improvements over the years, and we may be talking MANY years here. I hate to buy one that is 20 years old and find out that a 1587 is NOT a 1587, as you say, because it is missing some improvements that are now taken for granted by us workers. I don't think the 'A' in front represents accessories. I can deduce myself that 'VS' probably represents variable speed, which is significant. Perhaps the 'E' in the 1590EVSK stands for electronic controls (computer chip) which is also significant.

I was hoping that someone who was around long enough and paid attention when they changed the saw from the 1587VS to the 1587AVS and then to the 1587AVSK would remember or know where to look up what the changes were.

Its like when the BT3000 became the BT3100, it wasn't just a change to Asia or to Accessories, it represented real change that I am sure could be easily answered without a guess by you BT3xxx experts. I was hoping that someone would similarly know about the Bosch Jigsaw that I have learned is so beloved by BT3Central users.
          darksider

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I have an older version of the 1587VS with the "D" handle. It is not a tooless blade change. The newer versions are.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

as a wild guess i would say the "A" represents an improved version of the original with the same number. Close in form fit and function to keep the same number but with improvements. Different enough that the parts list would be different if you called them up asking for a repair part, they'd want to know if it was a "" or a "A".

VS usually indicates variable speed ; EVS is electronic controlled VS
              PK usually indicates a package or kit... where the base model is in a box (kit) possibly with some accesories (extra blades or guides)
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

STANDARD EQUIPMENT

Model 1587AVS
                Three Assorted Blades
                Footplate Adjustment Hex Key........1 907 950 006
                Steel Footplate Insert Kit...............2 607 001 085
                Anti-splintering Insert....................JA 1002

Model 1587AVSK includes 1587 AVS PLUS
                No-mar Plastic Footplate
                Insert Kit........2 610 996 230
                Carrying Case..2 610 991 718

Model 1587AVSP includes 1587AVS PLUS
                Nine Assorted Blades
                Insert Kit..........2 610 996 230
                Carrying Case....2 610 914 154

The above info was taken from a Bosch 2002-2003 catalog.
                Last edited by sweensdv; 03-30-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• agent511
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2005
                  • Philadelphia
                  • TS3650

Thank you, guys. Those are great answers. No I know I don't want the VS because it is so old, it does not have the toolless blade change. The 'A' must indicate the improvement in the blade handling. The final letter K is probably german for case (Kase?). The 'P' includes the case Plus some blades. SO I would get the AVS or the AVSK or the AVSP, but not the VS.
                  darksider

Comment

• Thalermade
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Ohio
                    • BT 3000

Bosch uses VS for Variable Speed. The K is for kit, which is generally a case and some extras. The very early 1587's came in metal cases, then switched to all plastic.

the 1587 was a new standard in jigsaws when it was released in the 1990's- including the new style and patented t-shank blade. It took the other folks a few years to catch up, adapt and then add extras. Eventually Bosch upgraded the 1587 to the 1590 in 2004. The 1590 has the easy lever for tool less blade change. The 1587 DOES HAVE tool less blade change, it is just a little more work spinning the cap 3 times.

I would spend the extra money and get the 1590 because along with the easier tool less blade change and tool less foot angle, you get better blade support.

I stand corrected. Thanks LinuxRandal
                    Sorry about that folks, the thoughts were in my head, but I did not get them in print.

Have fun,
                    Russ
                    Last edited by Thalermade; 03-31-2008, 07:42 AM. Reason: Incorrect information

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by Thalermade
                      Eventually Bosch upgraded the 1587 to the 1590 in 2004. The 1590 has the tool less blade change. The 1587 never had it.

I would spend the extra money and get the 1590 because along with the tool less blade change and tool less foot angle, you get better blade support.

Have fun,
                      Russ
                      The 1587 DOES have tool less blade changing. Just a different, not as easy method. On the one I have, you pull up the handle and spin it 3, or 3 1/2 times. Then you twist and pull the blade out.
                      The 1590/91 is a little red quick release lever, along with the blade guides that improve it for thicker wood (or a reason for a bandsaw).

I didn't know about the early 1587's as those that told me about them have 1581's or 1584's depending on handle preference.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• agent511
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2005
                        • Philadelphia
                        • TS3650

Linux - thanks. I knew before that 1587 had a difficult tool-less blade change, but now I learned that the 1590, in addition to having electronic controls, also has improved on the tool-less blade change and has better blade support. Those are reasons to buy the 1590 that I was not aware of before.
                        darksider

Comment

• ryan.s
                          • Feb 2006
                          • So Cal
                          • Ridgid TS3650

As the others mentioned K stands for KIT (case and extra base) and the reason they use the P for blades is because it is an assortment of Bosch's Progressor Blades.

Comment

• Thalermade
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Ohio
                            • BT 3000

Thanks LinuxRandal, I really made a late night mistake.

I corrected my original post. What I had meant to express was the 1590 is a simpler, easier tool less system. Got in a hurry and screwed up.

Russ

Comment

• herb fellows
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • New York City
                              • bt3100

FWIW, the 1587 is made in China, to Bosch specs of course, the 1590 in Switzerland. That being said, I have heard very few complaints about the 1587. I just bought the 1590 and you get a 3 year warranty on the 1590, BUT you must register it, either by phone, online or mail to get that warranty. Is that true of the 1587 also, or is that still only a 1 yr warranty?
                              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...