• Show
Clear All
  • NJHC
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2008
    • New Jersey
    • BT3100

Delta 6-Inch Bench Jointer

I've found a guy selling Delta 37-070 6-Inch Variable Speed Bench Jointer for $100. The condition is great. I've been in the market for a joiner and was hoping to get some input before I buy this. Pros, cons, etc....

Thanks
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

that ones been discussed many times (check the search) a couple of years ago they changed the model number to JT-160 and the color scheme but its still the same machine.

Good: smooth, variable speed
    Bad - short jointer bed keeps you from straightening pieces much over 4 foot long.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pacwind3
      Established Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Vancouver, WA
      • Bosch 4100

I know the bed is short on that machine, but i saw plans a few years ago in a magazine to make longer beds. The mag was probably shopnotes or woodsmith since I read them the most. In fact they had a stand they built for that machine as well. If you're interested, I could check around my mags and probably dig it up.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

you know, you look at the big free-standing 6" and 8" jointers and then you look at the ideas people have for making extenders and all for short bed jointers.

You wonder why they found it necessary to have all that cast iron hanging out there weighing over 200 lbs.

Then you think, gee, if those extenders worked well they'd only have to make some cheap sheet metal extenders and rollers instead of those big cast iron monsters....

FWIW i sold my Delta 37-070 (for $150) and bought a new Delta JT360 for $260 about 2 yrs ago.
        Just don't illusion yourself that a short bed jointer can do what a long bed jointer does.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dealweb
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2006

That Delta Jointer works great for small pieces less than 4 feet and it has a small shop footprint which is the reason I bought mine. For mine I usually set it to take off only 1/32 at a time which provides a excellent edge. If you have the shop room get a larger jointer and save your $100 you'll be glad you did.

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by pacwind3
            I know the bed is short on that machine, but i saw plans a few years ago in a magazine to make longer beds. The mag was probably shopnotes or woodsmith since I read them the most. In fact they had a stand they built for that machine as well. If you're interested, I could check around my mags and probably dig it up.
            Another option is to mount it at the end of a workbench on a shelf such that the out feed table is even with the surface of the bench. I used mine just fine in this set-up for a couple years. The bench adds all the weight and vibration dampening that you can use (not that there was alot of vibration to begin with).
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...