• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Adhesive or hook/ loop sanders?

For those of you who have had both, what are your experiences with these types of pad attachment systems? I'm still using the old 1/4 sheet, pad sander and I'm cosidering a move to a round ROS.

TIA!
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I prefer hook/loop. I have both - my ROS is hook/loop my belt/disc sander is adhesive.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

Definitely Hook & Loop for ROS.
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Hook and loop for me. Less of a hassle. Also, with H&L, Scotchbrite pads will also stick.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

H&L, definately.

On a slightly different tack, anyone here have their adhesive disk come off from the 4" belt/6" Disk sander like the Ryobit BD4600? Dang disk came flying off at speed while I was using the belt portion. Some of those PSA disks are thick and heavy... pretty dangerous.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Hook and loop for me.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
              • Aug 2007
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • BT-3000, 21829

Changed all sanders to hook and loop. I got tired of cleaning glue residue off the pad.

Porter-Cable guy said that production shops still use adhesive disks.
              You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
                Changed all sanders to hook and loop. I got tired of cleaning glue residue off the pad.

Porter-Cable guy said that production shops still use adhesive disks.

That's what I wondered and feared. A friend is sold on adhesives but he has a pile of the pads that he bought at an auction. I informed him that the adhesives lose their stickiness over time. He doesn't believe it.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm like David -- H&L on my ROS, PSA on my disc/belt sander.

PSA discs can be considerably cheaper: I've seen 100 packs of PSA discs for not much more than a 50 pack of otherwise-equal H&L discs. But this can be a false economy. The adhesive on a PSA disc is usually a one-shot deal whereas an H&L disc can be removed and reinstalled later. If you have multiple sanders and can leave a given grit on until the disc is worn out (as is often the case with commercial shops), PSA can save you some money; but if you have to switch grits while the disc still has some life left, PSA may actually cost more in the long run.
                  Larry

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

H&L for me. Go and get yourself that ROS, the difference between the 1/4 sheet is amazing. You will need to do a little testing before you start sanding youir latest project so you can avoid over sanding it as the ROS needs much less effort than what yo0u have been using.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004

One other Q with regard to brand. Are they all pretty much equal or are there ones to avoid? Does size make a difference - usefulness vs cost of pads?
                      Last edited by ironhat; 03-17-2008, 10:17 AM. Reason: Re: size
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Not sure what you mean about size most ROS are 5"

I use Mirka (I got a deal on Amazon a while back) but have also used Norton.

I got this mixed pack and it has lasted a while. I also got packs of the fine grits.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirka-23-615-A...5769468&sr=8-1

Its worthwhile buying these bigger packs, they last a while (unless you go in for Olympic sanding). @ approx $20 or less for 50 thats much cheaper than your local HD.
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004

Sorry for the poor post, Jon. I was referring to the sanders themselves which come in 5" and 6" pad sizes. I expect that the 5" pads are a little cheaper but does the 6" machine offer much other than being able to cover an area more quickly? Is it much different with regard to getting into corners? (Being round I do understand that it's not geometrically possible to get into a 90*, inside corner.)

EDIT: I just found this on Amazon per your post, Jon.. No variable speed with this one and I thought that that would be important. Just an FYI.Items: Need to ? Shipping to: Chiz
                          Porter Cable 343K 5-inch Random Orbit Sander Kit - Hook & Loop Pad
                          $53.99 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock
                          Condition: new
                          Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
                          Last edited by ironhat; 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM. Reason: Pulled full name and address
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ironhat
                            One other Q with regard to brand. Are they all pretty much equal or are there ones to avoid? Does size make a difference - usefulness vs cost of pads?
                            You might look up a review in different woodworking magazines. I recall reading one a few years ago, the design options for ROS you can vary the orbit size and pattern and IIRC the reviewer found they differed markedly in their aggressiveness because of this. Also the Vacuum characteristics and attachability varied greatly.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

The vast majority of ROS sanders are 5". IMHO the extra you get for 6" is minimal. You are of course right that you cant fit a round disk into a square corner . For tight corners you can sand to finish before glueup and/or get a corner/detail sander (the triangular pointy sanders). Certain small or awkward areas are always going to be tough and need to be hand sanded. ROSs and other power sanders are primarily for larger more open areas.
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...