• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Respirator?

Anybody tried one of these? I usually use the disposbale types if I remember, but they fog up my glasses.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

I believe that is the same one I have, if not it is very close. Fairly comfortable for me. Real comfortable compared to alternatives. I cannot say that is the one for sure because it is in a duffel bag at work with my Tyveks and SCBA's and such though.

The key with wearing a respirator for long periods of time and being almost comfortable is to not get it too tight that it hurts, or wear it so loose that it slips around. When it is adjusted properly it should be just snug enough to stay in place comfortably and you check to make sure that it is not too loose by placing your hand or hands over the cartridges and inhaling. It should not leak around the edges nor through the one-way valve.

Admittedly though, I never use one while woodworking. I know I should, but I don't. I always try to abate before protecting. The only time I wear one is when spraying or something and that is almost never. I wonder what the neighbors would say if they saw me working in a full Tyvek bunny suit with an SCBA mask and tanks?
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have used one like that and it does not leak like the white masks. My glasses tend to fog easily too. It did bother me wearing it for a couple of hours at a time as I just was not like the tight feeling or the sweating at the rubber contact lines, which I did quite a bit.

I moved to a Triton which did somewhat better but not in temps above 85°.

Still, that kind of a mask does better than the white ones in preventing foggy glasses.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

A respirator should be appropriate for the procedure. If you are looking for protection from dust and particles, that one is definitely better than the paper one and rubber band.

For spraying toxic stuff, that respirator may offer some protection from what's inhaled through the nose and mouth. Remember, your eyes, ears, and skin can be receptors. I went too many years with all the complaints about sweating, or what's uncomfortable, or what would I look like wearing this or that. I'm barely here to tell you that I should have taken more care.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

OK - I think i'll get me one, it has to be better than the white ones and I dont think I need to go to one off the full head masks right now.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Brunswick, MD

I have that one and it is head and shoulders above the paper only ones. I felt short of breath with the paper ones but can comfortably wear this one for hours.

It will collect condensation, which can drip out of the exhaust valves so you have to be careful of what you're dripping on...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

I used the next step up from that one:

AO Safety Quicklatch PRO Dual Cartridge Respirator #95090

I bought it, due to the local availability of the cartridges for it (Sears at one time, HF, Borg, etc).
              You can get a much better fit with these, both in terms of glasses and protection, then even the surgical masks my mother brought me (I hated the paper cup shaped things).
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have something similar that I bought at walmart for $20, and I like it much more that the others. Frankly, I feel the disposable scarcely do justice to protecting you, you should buy one of these, will help with the fogging a lot.

I see that LR's recomendation is pretty close in cost , and looks better built. You might go for that.

I do have a question to those who use these - how do I know when to change the filters / cartridges?
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
                  I have something similar that I bought at walmart for $20, and I like it much more that the others. Frankly, I feel the disposable scarcely do justice to protecting you, you should buy one of these, will help with the fogging a lot.

I see that LR's recomendation is pretty close in cost , and looks better built. You might go for that.

I do have a question to those who use these - how do I know when to change the filters / cartridges?

That's a pretty good question. I just wing it. For me it depends on what I'm using it for. If I'm spraying a finish and I sense restrained air flow, or it has a cakey look to the outside, I change it. They are cheap enough to keep a fresh one going for the benefit you get. But what I think about is breathing through a cartridge that is contaminated can't be all that good for you.

I also got into the habit of leaving a respirator on for a good length of time after the procedure is complete. Dust particles or toxic fumes can linger in the air for some time. Just to aid whatever protection I'm getting, I'll place a fan to one side which helps to direct airborne stuff away from my working position.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

I have a big fancy one that I use for chemical exposure (with the appropriate canisters) and a smaller lighter one that I use for dust. I also have some high-tech multistage "paper and rubber band" masks that are actually several layers of treated fabric in a paper shell. I use these under my full-face visor when turning on the lathe. They fit very well, and I have seen no evidence of any dust exposure (and it is usually very evident if I get exposed).

Comment

• Sid
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2004
                      • Bloomington, IL, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22124

I love my Resp-O-Rator. See the inventors site at http://duxterity.com/ and note that several retailers that carry it. I got replacement filters at my Woodcraft store after a really dirty job cutting through a cement block basement wall.

It doesn't fog my glasses, doesn't press on my face, seals well despite my beard, draws air from behind me through large, high quality filters, and when I leave the shop for a bit, I just spit it out and it rides gently on my shoulders.

Sid

Comment

• Russianwolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                        • One of them there Toy saws

Try this one

I've got to get one here soon too. I was looking at the dust-be-gone since it's washable. But I think I want something that's N95 or better.
                        Mike
                        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                          • Dec 2006
                          • Lake County, Illinois
                          • Ryobi BT-3000

17.5% "value added tax"!!! How many decades until governments reach 100% taxation?

Has anybody used one of these Air Aces?

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                            AO Safety Quicklatch PRO Dual Cartridge Respirator #95090
                            That is what I have. I have real problems with wood dust, so I wear mine pretty much all the time when I am in my shop. It fits well and is pretty comfortable. You can add different filters if you like.
                            Doug Kerfoot
                            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Russianwolf
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by Slik Geek
                              17.5% "value added tax"!!! How many decades until governments reach 100% taxation?

Has anybody used one of these Air Aces?
                              they usually don't have to collect VAT when they sell to the US. But it's basically a type of sales tax. The real tax rates are a lot higher in Europe, near 50% in Brussels for example, but the healthcare is fully paid for and a lot of other programs that we don't have here, they have there.

I heard about the mask and when I looked at it, got scared off by the size. Looks rather darth vader-ie.

I looked at the Resp-o-Rator mentioned above, and while I like the concept, I don't know if I like the breathing through the mouth thing.
                              Last edited by Russianwolf; 03-22-2008, 07:10 PM.
                              Mike
                              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...