• Show
Clear All
  • spankynmagic
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2008
    • Richmond, VA
    • BT3100

Most used T-Track

Okay, where are the masses getting their T-Track from? I definately want something that accepts 1/4-20 bolts.

How about Woodpecker?

Thanks,

SpanKY
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

I have gotten it from Rockler in the kit http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5209&filter=T%2Dtrack when it was on sale.
    John Hunter

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I get mine from the local Woodcraft store. They carry the Incra tracks and miter slots.
      Erik

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I've been getting mine from Lee Valley. I prefer their track's clear anodized color to the gold/blue/red of other vendors; and that it comes unpunched, so I can place the screws wherever I want them. Until recently it did not accept 1/4-20 bolt heads, but they must've changed suppliers because the last batch I got will.

The other day I happened to notice that McMaster-Carr has the cheapest price I can recall seeing ... $9.38 for a 48" stick. I've not tried this track but may do so, next time.
        Larry

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

I have used Incra tracks and well as some from MLCS. While I have not ever had a problem when using the 1/4 - 20 bolts, there is enough difference in the internal width of the track and/or the width of the t-bolts, that sometimes the t-bolts had to be ground down on the sides to fit.

This is more of an annoyance than a real problem -- only takes a few minutes to touch-up the width of the t-bolts. Unfortunately, you don't know this until you get them in your hands and try to make them fit.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by John Hunter
            I have gotten it from Rockler in the kit http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5209&filter=T%2Dtrack when it was on sale.
            I much prefer the stuff that takes (slides in easily but won't spin) 1/4-20 bolt hex heads (7/16 across the flats) because the bolts are so available.
            IIRC, the Rockler T-track won't work right with 1/4-20 or with 5/16-18 head head bolts, it uses 1/4-20 T-bolts which cost about a $1 each if bought separately.
            OTOH I confess to having several lengths of Rockler T-track simply because with their kit price, its pretty cheap (4' track comes with like 8 T-bolts and knobs as well for about $12 on sale).

if you want 1/4-20 bolt use, the Incra/woodpecker track is Good.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-12-2008, 10:07 AM. Reason: OK, "takes" 1/4-20 hex head bolts but they spin uselessly
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              IIRC, the Rockler T-track does not take 1/4-20 bolts, it uses T-bolts which cost about a $1 each if bought separately.
              Actually it will take a 1/4-20 hex head -- or at least the piece I bought several years ago will -- but the problem is that the slot is too wide for a 1/4-20 hex head, making it prone to spin uselessly as you try to tighten the knob or nut. OTOH, I'm not sure the slot is quite big enough to step up to a 5/16-18.

Rockler's t-bolt prices are indeed absurd. As I think I've mentioned before, Lee Valley has 1/4-20 x 1" t-bolts in bags of 10 for $2.60, and the 2" length for $3.10.
              Last edited by LarryG; 03-12-2008, 07:37 AM.
              Larry

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I get mine down the street at Peachtree Woodworking here in Atlanta. They make their own tracks and have tons of track on hand. You want some short 12" track with a rounded end.. they got it.

Peachtree Woodworking Supply is your one stop supply shop for all your woodworking needs.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
                  Actually it will take a 1/4-20 hex head -- or at least the piece I bought several years ago will -- but the problem is that the slot is too wide for a 1/4-20 hex head, making it prone to spin uselessly as you try to tighten the knob or nut. OTOH, I'm not sure the slot is quite big enough to step up to a 5/16-18.

Rockler's t-bolt prices are indeed absurd. As I think I've mentioned before, Lee Valley has 1/4-20 x 1" t-bolts in bags of 10 for $2.60, and the 2" length for $3.10.
                  i couldn't recall the exact issue, but I'll amend it to say it won't work right with 1/4-20 or with 5/16-18 head head bolts (for whatever reasons).

a couple more appearance issues - the blue is pretty if you like it but doesn't match from lot to lot and when you cut it you get a silver end.
                  Still its very cheap when on sale (like $12 for 4' with 8 knobs & 8 bolts).
                  Right now its $20.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

My experience with the Rocker t-track is the same as Loring's. It won't work with a 1/4" or 5/16" bolt.

If I were to start over, I'd get t-track that you can use 1/4" bolts with, but I've been satisfied with the Rockler t-track - I picked up 4 bundled packs of the 4' track with assorted t-bolts and knobs a few years ago for $10/pk. I really haven't had much need to buy Rockler's overpriced t-bolts since so many were included with my bundles. I haven't used up all of my t-track yet, but when I do I'll probably get more of the Rockler stuff to maintain consistency.
                    Bill

Comment

Working...