• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

BT3 aftermarket spliter/bladeguard options

I am getting really #&^%#^& off that everytime I need to do a non through cut I have to take off the dang spliter/riving knife. BTW what is the difference, is it just that one moves up and down with the blade and the other doesnt?

Anyway while changing blades on the BT3 is pretty easy removing the guard/splitter assy is a royal PITA!! I really dont want to go the route of removing them completley, so what are my options.

Are you all going to simply shout at me GET A SHARK GUARD!!!

I have never seen one in the flesh, if it fits to the same mounting point as the OEM one wont it have the same issue? I belive the guard is removeable while leaving the knife in place. I may be answering my own question but is it simply that the knife is set at the exact same height as the blade therefore you can make a non through cut with it in place?

What about stopped cuts or is there really no solution here but to remove any form of knife/guard?

All options suggestions welcome including JUST GET A SHARK GUARD!!

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cbrown
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Massachusetts
    • BT3100

Get a Shark Guard! The riving knife supplied with it mounts in the same place as the stock RK but is adjusted so that it is at or slightly below the top of the blade and the polycarbonate guard can be easily removed for non-through cuts without removing the riving knife.

A recent discussion here points out the importance of periodically tightening the bolts holding the riving knife in place to avoid surprises.

I believe a riving knife by definition both moves up and down and bevels with the blade adjustment, whereas a splitter is fixed in at least one of these axes.

Chris

Comment

• Otter
      • Nov 2003
      • Cumming, GA, USA.
      • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Originally posted by poolhound
      I am getting really #&^%#^& off that everytime I need to do a non through cut I have to take off the dang spliter/riving knife. BTW what is the difference, is it just that one moves up and down with the blade and the other doesnt?

Anyway while changing blades on the BT3 is pretty easy removing the guard/splitter assy is a royal PITA!! I really dont want to go the route of removing them completley, so what are my options.

I have never seen one in the flesh, if it fits to the same mounting point as the OEM one wont it have the same issue? I belive the guard is removeable while leaving the knife in place. I may be answering my own question but is it simply that the knife is set at the exact same height as the blade therefore you can make a non through cut with it in place?

What about stopped cuts or is there really no solution here but to remove any form of knife/guard?

All options suggestions welcome including JUST GET A SHARK GUARD!!

Jon
      Jon

I will give you my SG4.0 you pay for shipping....PM me

Jon
      All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by poolhound

That was my initial thought. I never used the BT3K guard - but use the Shark Guard whenever possible.

In the even I'm doing something where I have to remove both the guard (really convenient) and the riving knife (not so convenient), I've improved that process by using a Craftsman ratchet box wrench. (I purchased it specifically for this purpose and store it next to the saw).

To address the "avoiding surprises" concern posted by cbrown, I installed nylon-based lock nuts.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Otter,

Thanks for the offer - PM sent
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Has anyone used the splitters that are made by the company that does the Gripper on a BT3?
            Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

get a shark guard, solves all your problems you describe including the non-thru cuts.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pecker
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003

In the olden days, some of us, including the shark guard guy, made shortened splitters. Just trace the pattern of the original onto some sheet aluminum of the appropriate thickness. Cut it with a jigsaw, and file or sand the rough edges. Just don't make it any taller than your blade.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pecker
                  In the olden days, some of us, including the shark guard guy, made shortened splitters. Just trace the pattern of the original onto some sheet aluminum of the appropriate thickness. Cut it with a jigsaw, and file or sand the rough edges. Just don't make it any taller than your blade.
                  you can make it exactly 1.00 inches shorter. Then you have a riving knife but no blade guard.
                  Or you can buy a shark guard. THe shark guard has a clever clamp that attaches to the short riving knife, that allows very fast easy removal; the only thing is that the clamp sits beihind the blade but clamps to the top 1/2" or so of the knife, requires you to run your blade tips about a 1/2" over the top of the wood, no biggie.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpauly
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • NJ

Originally posted by Otter
                    Jon

I will give you my SG4.0 you pay for shipping....PM me

Jon
                    Anyone else have a SG they want to give away for the price of shipping? If so, I'm all over it....heck, I'll even barter for one. Anyone want a nice pen?

Michael

Comment

Working...