X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Which benchtop jointer?

Well, I have read enough bad reviews on the JT160 to steer me away from it. But now what are my choices?
    I know cast iron tables are the best. Does the Craftsman model have cast iron tables? I could not determine if it does or not.
    There is the grizzy model, but with freight of almost $50!
    I really didn't want a used one and I don't really have room for a floor model at this time and did not want to spend much over $200.
    The Shop Fox is about the same price as the Delta and has cast iron tables. Anyone have one of these?

And one last thing....about the noise!! How loud are these things? I have a small POS that I have been using that is about 20" long and is all aluminum. It is noisy!! I believe it wakes the dead in the graveyard 2 miles away. I'd say it is comparable to standing next to a tree limb grinder. I cannot use it without ear protection.

Thank all.

Salty
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

A jointer is probably the safest of tools to buy used. Except for the cutter head bearings there is very little that can go wrong with them, and those are easy to replace. The tables slide in key ways cast into the tables and base. The tables are moved so little that there is virtually no wear.

Even breaking down an 8" for refurb was a fairly simple task.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Salty, there is a craftsman with cast tables, but it's 250$

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rs+%26+Shapers

Anyway, it's the Pelgrem, and it works very well for the size, but at that price, I'd go with a bigger jointer, as they really are not that much more expensive.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I have been going through the same dilemma. As my "shop" is my garage which normally houses two vehicles I am very short on space. All tools need to live around the edges abd are moved into position when the cars are out.

I was looking for a used benchtop jointer on CL as I just dont have the space for a real one. There is lots of debate about wether one should have a jointer or planer if you can only have one of them.

I ended up getting a great planer, the rigid, used for a great price. At least for now I am face jointer with the planer and a jig and edge jointing with the router table. Given what else the planer does this seems like the best bet, at least for me. Most jointers are 6 or 8 inch which still leaves you with the challenge of face jointing larger stock. My planer is 13" wide - problem solved.

If you havent already got one consider looking out for a used planer. If you have forget the 6" benchtop jointer - IMHO.

Jon
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the basic problem with benchtop jointers is that you cannot straighten stock more than about 4 feet long. That's the purpose of jointers and the fatal flaw of benchtop jointers.

I've been down that road. If you only want to do short (less than 4') pieces of wood, the benchtops will work OK.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Brunswick, MD

I bought that craftsman model for $180 on sale (with craftsman club) and sold it for $150 (to get a bigger one).

Comment

• LYU370
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Streamwood, IL.

I've got the Craftsman benchtop jointer. Yes it is all cast iron, yes it is loud, yes it is heavy! I too have limited space, and this has done the job for now. Very happy with it.
              Andy

Comment

• Shipwreck
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2005

I have used this Grizzly jointer a few times at a buddies house. It's a little monster! It needs to be mounted some where where permanent because it is heavy. I used it once for 4' lengths of red oak and it handled it like the big dogs.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/G0612

Unlike the Delta and Craftsman, It has a very rugged fence and adjusts pretty smoothly.

I hope this helps.
                Last edited by Shipwreck; 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM. Reason: info

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

My benchtop worked well, served me greatly while I had it. If your issue is one of space, it's a great option, if it's of money, you'll probably find a used floor model for the same $$$ that would be of quality, that's my only point.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...