Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006

Any Body Bought/used These?

HF heavy duty ratchet clamps?

• kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Brunswick, MD

I haven't used those specific ones but I have used the ones that look pretty much the same that I got from Ollie's (discount store). They only lasted one use for me. I squeezed each of them one time too many and they don't work any more... I do have strong hands so maybe I just overdid it but it didn't seem like I applied that much pressure.

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I bought a couple of those from HF and have to say that they are no where close to the quick grips. Biggest problem is low clamping power compared to others I have.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm fairly sure those HF clamps are the ones many people say should be avoided.

If you only want the 6" length and can stand a lighter clamp with a shallower throat depth (about 1-1/2"), Rockler still has their closeout sale on a two-pack of Irwin Quick-Grips for the racehorse price of only $8.99.
        Larry

Comment

• pcombs
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2006

Please note that these are not the 'cheesy' clamps that they always have on sale. These are the beefier 'Sears' clones. I have not seen them go on sale, once.

Comment

• unclecritic
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2008
            • Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829, (2) bt-3100's

I bought some a few months back and under any sort of pressure the body expanded and eventually cracked.... I use tin snips everyday so my hands are pretty strong and it was cold out... excuses excuses... I just bought a four pack of irwin 6" at lowes for $20...

Comment

• rja
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I have a pair of clamps similar to that shown. I broke one doing a glue-up. Time to scramble and get the pipe clamps out. The handle of my clamp is made in halves and can be easily unscrewed. There are two bosses on the inside of each half that hold a 3/16" round pin that the handle pivots on. The bosses sheared off on the inside allowing the pin and handle to fall out. I drilled two 3/16" holes using the remnants of the bosses as a guide and installed a 10-32 socket head bolt with a nut on the end with thread locker to keep the nut on. I used a bolt long enough that there was an unthreaded shank so the handle did not pivot on the threads. Works like it did before.

Comment

• balzac.thegreat
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2008
                • Jersey City, NJ
                • Craftsman 21829

I checked those clamps out at my local HF and decided those were one of their items that I would be avoiding as the construction seemed very shoddy and didn't seem like they would hold up very well. Their quick release bar clamps however are awesome.

Comment

• AlanWS
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Shorewood, WI.

I agree that those HF ratchet ones are to be avoided as they don't hold well. But the bar clamps (34387 and other sizes) are quite nice. In fact, the current Fine Woodworking has an article with a picture of Michael Fortune using a whole bunch of that kind of HF clamp for a curved lamination.
                  Alan

Comment

• gjat
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                    • BT3100

I had them and they only lasted 1 use. I like the Irwins much better. The aluminum clamps are satisfactory.

Comment

• WayneJ
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I work at H.F. and we get a lot of returns on them. The plastic one are not worth the money
                      Wayne
                      Wayne J

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have a couple wasting space on my clamp rack, free to a good home. Totally useless.

Comment

• eezlock
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Charlotte,N.C.
                          • BT3100

HF clamps?

That one you show in the picture....ain't worth much in my opinion.
                          I have a couple of those same import type from Big Lots a couple of years ago...squeezed them too tight and broke them in half....weren't worth repairing either. I like a heavier duty clamp that will stand up to what I put it thru....the Irwin brand clamps cost a little more but work better also.
                          eezlock

Comment

• pcombs
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Aug 2006

Thanks for the input guys. I had some and took them back before something bad happened.

Comment

Working...