• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

My results - blade cleaning with WD-40

I decided to try WD-40 to clean the blade from my MS. The blade was not in bad shape, but I wanted to try it. I gave it a good shot of WD-40 on both sides of the teeth, then let it set for over 12 hours. I can't say the WD-40 didn't work at all, but it's effectiveness was minimal, IMHO. Way too much elbow grease needed. I rinsed and dried the blade, then gave the teeth a shot of Simple Green, diluted. After about 10 minutes, it was an easy task to bring the blade back to looking like new.

Now I took off the TS blade, which was in about the same shape as the MS blade (not bad). Gave it a shot of Simple Green, diluted. Had lunch. It sat about 1/2 hour. No problem getting it cleaned without much elbow grease. I used a brass brush on both blades.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Yeah...that's why I like the degreasers...they're faster. I clean my blades often enough that I don't usually wait longer than the time it takes to spray the other side before brushing (maybe 30 seconds). The brush alone will do alot of the work so it's quite possible that the WD-40 wasn't offering much help at all. Thanks for the followup!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Nitrile glove, paper towel, and mineral spirits is what I use. Don't even take the blade off the saw. Seems to work fine.

Comment

• RAV2
        Established Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Massachusetts

FYI - a trucker once mentioned that WD40 is mostly kerosene (he used to load his tanker up and return to the WD40 factory).

Comment

• rcp612
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
          • Bosch 4100-09

I've had WD-40 ignite too !
          Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• BrazosJake
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Benbrook, TX.
            • Emerson-built Craftsman

It never ceases to amaze me how many folks use WD-40 on WW tools. I don't know it's content, but it leaves a film and I'd bet it's got some silicone in it. I want it no where near my wood.

What needed to be cleaned, anyway? Pitch?

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I have also found that most petroleum based chemicals don't work at all on pitch. a spray and wipe with simple green seems to be most effective method.

WD-40 is petroleum distillates and oil, no silicone to worry about.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...aerosol.us.pdf
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I also use Simple Green, but I spray, scrub and rinse all within 15 minutes or less. Works really well.

Apparently there's the potential for Simple Green to weaken either the carbide teeth or the welds if left on too long so I don't. No carbide projectiles in the shop for me, thanks.

Simple Green had to come up with a special formulation for airplanes because the straight stuff is really bad for aluminum.

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                  What needed to be cleaned, anyway? Pitch?
                  Yes, but very little.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

How much do you guys dilute your simple green for blade cleaning?

Do you mix what you need and soak the blade or mix up a batch and spray then keep it in a spray bottle?
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by poolhound
                      How much do you guys dilute your simple green for blade cleaning?

Do you mix what you need and soak the blade or mix up a batch and spray then keep it in a spray bottle?
                      When I've used it, I just spray it on from the bottle, brush the teeth briefly and wipe it off within a few minutes...no diluting here.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• iceman61
                        • Oct 2007
                        • West TN
                        • Bosch 4100-09

Off topic but in a pinch WD-40 can be used as a starting fluid. Found that out last year purely by accident.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Ohio
                          • Ryobi bt3100-1

I need to clean my TS blade, and probably the blade on the MS, but I never use the MS because I'm too lazy to buy a blade for it (the stock one sucks) and its not adjusted as well as the TS.

speaking of which, I just moved it around a lot, and should probably re square everything.

I need to get myself some simple green and a brass brush.

Originally posted by iceman61
                          Off topic but in a pinch WD-40 can be used as a starting fluid. Found that out last year purely by accident.
                          so can anything that comes in an aerosol can.
                          Alex

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • SoCal, USA
                            • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Freud recomends kerosine.
                            The water based highly alkaline,[ yes simple green too, ]type degreasers will attack the brazing holding the tips on. Oven clr's are the worst.
                            You can buy blade clr's that will not have a pH issue but they cost more.
                            Andrew

Comment

• jemmy
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Sep 2007
                              • IRELAND
                              • Hitachi C10RA

Originally posted by Ed62
                              I decided to try WD-40 to clean the blade from my MS. The blade was not in bad shape, but I wanted to try it. I gave it a good shot of WD-40 on both sides of the teeth, then let it set for over 12 hours. I can't say the WD-40 didn't work at all, but it's effectiveness was minimal, IMHO. Way too much elbow grease needed. I rinsed and dried the blade, then gave the teeth a shot of Simple Green, diluted. After about 10 minutes, it was an easy task to bring the blade back to looking like new.

Now I took off the TS blade, which was in about the same shape as the MS blade (not bad). Gave it a shot of Simple Green, diluted. Had lunch. It sat about 1/2 hour. No problem getting it cleaned without much elbow grease. I used a brass brush on both blades.

Ed
                              hi there Ed, sorry for being stupid but can you please tell me what is Simple Green ??? sorry but thank you , Jemmy.

Comment

Working...