• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Anyone own a Starrett Jr?

I am trying to figure out, what, if any, difference there is between it, and a regular small Starrett. Blade size, marketing, etc..

TIA
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
    I am trying to figure out, what, if any, difference there is between it, and a regular small Starrett. Blade size, marketing, etc..

TIA
    Do you mean like a smaller (6") combination square, as opposed to the 12" model? I'm not sure I know what a Starrett Jr. is.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

starrett is a whole company, not a specific prduct, unless there's some slang use that I'm not familiar with. maybe something (for those of you old enough to know some of these) like bendix or victrola or kleenex or xerox where a particular product became synonymous with the company name.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by cgallery
        Do you mean like a smaller (6") combination square, as opposed to the 12" model? I'm not sure I know what a Starrett Jr. is.
        That is EXACTLY my problem. I now have an old Athol (pre Starrett) square, and I see some 6" squares and some 6" Jr. Squares. I am trying to find out for sure, if the blades are interchangable, and is this just some renaming they did (to confuse the .... out of me), or from some period of marketing (like the old kids tool sets), etc.

Someone got back to me on another forum and exchanged some email, they said they know of three size of Starretts (I didn't), and this fell in the smallest size (which SHOULD be the 6", aka 3/4" wide blade).
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          That is EXACTLY my problem. I now have an old Athol (pre Starrett) square, and I see some 6" squares and some 6" Jr. Squares. I am trying to find out for sure, if the blades are interchangable, and is this just some renaming they did (to confuse the .... out of me), or from some period of marketing (like the old kids tool sets), etc.

Someone got back to me on another forum and exchanged some email, they said they know of three size of Starretts (I didn't), and this fell in the smallest size (which SHOULD be the 6", aka 3/4" wide blade).
          I have a Chinese 6" combination square. I probably sound like a broken record but it wasn't perfect when I received it but was easily adjusted with a diamond file. It is perfect now and it is my most often used square.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

The reason for deternining blade WIDTH, not length, is they sell different length blades. I found a shorter (4") blade that would come in handy ocassionally. Trying to make sure it will fit first.

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

IINM the Juniors have both smaller heads and blades ... sort of an 8/10 scale version of the full-size models. I know the heads are smaller, and am pretty sure the blades are, too.

You might try poking around the Starrett website, and/or emailing them. I once sent an email inquiry to them and rec'd a response in a couple days.
              Larry

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

Found this today surfing

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=TMS

This will probably answer the question for sure.

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Afraid not. What I have found is my old square is an Athol (pre Starrett), and the blades width is 3/4" exactly. The Starrett Jr. squares have a blade width of 41/64, from the person that got back to me with the exact size.

Edit. Starrett got back with me by sending a scan of their standard head, their 6" head, and their smaller yet, Jr. head. So at least three sizes before you get into the builder stuff (seen a reference to).
                  Last edited by LinuxRandal; 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...