Which filter for the Jet AFS-1000B air filter system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Which filter for the Jet AFS-1000B air filter system?

Wow, either I have a really dirty garage, or this thing really filters well, or both. The outer filter was really filthy today and I've only had a few hours of run time on it. The inner filter shows a little color but not a lot of dust on it yet. I was looking at the outer filters and see there are three options: Standard replaceable, washable, and charcoal.

The standard filter can be blown out but certainly can't be washed. The washable seems like the same filter just in a metal frame. I'm curious about the charcoal filter; I suppose that might help with VOCs like solvents and finishes? Would it really make a difference?

What are your choices and why?
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

I didn't find that the washable really held up very well but they may have changed styles since I tried them. I got a set of brackets from Rockler that makes for any easy connection on the outside intake side of the unit. That lets me attach a throw away filter on the outside of the unit to catch the bulk of the larger dust. Of course you could probably do the same thing with bungey cord but they were only $6 or $7 as I recall.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

That idea crossed my mind (adding a third filter). How did that work for you? Any reduction in air flow that you could tell?

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Delta Contractor Saw

That air filter has plenty of power and has been ran just about every day for the last year and a half. If nothing else, it really lengthens the time between changes for the internal filters. If you're interested, the Rockler item number is 38890

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks for the tip on the external filter, MIke. I might try that as the Jet standard filters are a bit on the expensive side. A few more miles to the gallon wouldn't hurt.

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

The washable electrostatic filter that I purchased when I first got my AFS-1000B is all metal, not just the frame. The part number at that time was 708708 and it doesn't seem to be available anymore. At least it's not in the Jet catalog that I have. I looked at Amazon and what they show as a 708708 is not the same filter that I have. You might want to check eBay and see if you can find one there. The one I have still looks brand new after years of use.

I purchased mine here at a Menards and if you'd like, I could look the next time I'm there and see if they might still have one of these still in stock. IIRC, I thing I paid somewhere around $30-$40 for mine. If you'd like and they do have one I could pick one up for you and send it out to AZ. Either PM me or let me know through this thread if you'd like me to do that.

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Thanks, but I think I will go with the three-filter method. I ordered the clips from Rockler a bit ago (and a few other goodies to round off the order, don't want to waste the shipping fee of course).

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                • Nov 2004
                • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by Carlos
                Thanks, but I think I will go with the three-filter method. I ordered the clips from Rockler a bit ago (and a few other goodies to round off the order, don't want to waste the shipping fee of course).
                Yep - I've used that excuse a time or two. )

Comment

Working...