HF 14'' x 40'' Lathe for $85 - any good?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

HF 14'' x 40'' Lathe for $85 - any good?

Just surfing idly when this caught my eye : 14'' x 40'' LATHE WITH 6'' SANDER for $85. Seems too cheap to be good. Anybody have any experience/opinion with/about this?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Is that a sheet metal bed? If so, it can't be good, physically impossible.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

That HF lathe is a real cheapo. It is all sheet metal, and bare bones at every turn (pun intended). I see a lot of those advertised used, so there must be a reason. YMMV (and apologies to those that may have one) but I'd avoid it, and watch for a good deal on a cast-iron frame lathe.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

We own a Jet mini-lathe, and used to have the Rockler mini-lathe which is basically a copy of the Jet. The difference between the Rockler and the Jet is astounding. The Rockler is cast iron also, but the quality of the motor, the locking mechanisms, and the live center is just junk.

Now imagine going down to the HF level... And then imagine going to sheet metal instead of iron. Scary.

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

I got one as part of a tool deal a few years ago. It is not top drawer but after I mounted it on a 2x10 for stability it works. I use it with a drum for sanding more than turning but it is handy for turning handles and wheels when you need one. It has an odd headstock that makes getting chucks or faceplates difficult.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2006
            • Pittsburgh, PA
            • BT3100

I had that lathe, and it's not a very good one. I paid about $63 or $68 for it *new* at HF with a sale/coupon combination. It is altogether too lightly built for any serious work, and doesn't take many accessories, due to the nonstandard spindle threading (which is not bored through for a knockout bar, btw). Paradoxically, having said all of that, I'm sorta glad I bought it, because it got me into turning, and I did manage to make some nice and useful items with it. I outgrew it pretty quickly, though.

If you want to get a cheap medium-capacity starter lathe, you'd probably be much better off with a HF 34706, which is cast iron with a variable speed reeves drive and standard spindle threading (1x8). I got that second one for about $169 on sale with a coupon. If you search the turning forum archives, you'll find lots of comments about the 34706 lathe (pro and con), which is still cheap, but generally considered to be OK quality for a beginner to learn on. Based on reading many comments about it on this and other forums, it seems that some turners keep theirs for years, while others outgrow it and end up spending 5 to 10 times as much for a beautiful lathe. As for me, I'm keeping my 34706....

Joe

P.S. - if you know you'll only be making smaller items, you might also consider the Rikon mini, or a Jet mini. They're both popular choices.

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

I have one and do not recommend them. I beefed the frame up but the tailstock still can cause it to flex.
              John Hunter

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

This HF lathe

works relatively well and often goes on sale in the $160 range.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by messmaker
                  I got one as part of a tool deal a few years ago. It is not top drawer but after I mounted it on a 2x10 for stability it works. I use it with a drum for sanding more than turning but it is handy for turning handles and wheels when you need one. It has an odd headstock that makes getting chucks or faceplates difficult.

My first lathe was an import, that was used for one off knob making or spindles, nothing real critical. It came only with a screw on spur bit. It has a weird thread. I took the bit to several machine shops to see if they could make a different mount or thread to thread like 3/4 x 16. None wanted to mess with it. If I get motivated to do something I may just change the shaft.

Comment

Working...