• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

A couple of new toys...

I replaced a couple of my tools, not that they were bad really, but it was my last opportunity to get friends and family prices through rockler. And here are the new ones.....

16.5" Delta laser drill press....

And new 18" Jet bandsaw...

Both on HTC2000 mobile bases. So far I like the drill press a lot, and the bandsaw seems pretty good, but haven't pushed it yet. Need to tune it up a bit and convert it to 220v, as it's too powerful for my 110 line.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Major tool gloat, Keith! I'm happy with my BS but the DP is the first tool to get upgraded when I have more room.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• reddog552
      Established Member
      • Dec 2006
      • Belleville Il.
      • Bt3000

Tool Gloat

NICE thanks again, for your paitence.Igot his OLD, USED craftsman pro band saw.
      The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I own both of those tools. That bandsaw is fantastic and you'll love it. I bought it just before I started a project that required re-sawing 8-10" wide Wenge boards, and pulling veneers from a few other Wenge boards. We've also used it for a myriad other cutting jobs. Once tuned up, it cuts just absolutely perfectly every time.

I highly recommend ignoring their re-saw attachment and making your own tall fence for this job. I used a generic white-coated shelf material because it's slippery and perfectly flat. I countersunk a couple of T nuts into it and used standard knobs on them. I drilled a couple of holes through the stock fence to attach this. With this setup I pulled .06" veneers from wenge boards with no more than .003" variation across the entire board (5' long).

I'm running it on 115v, but have to turn off EVERYTHING on that circuit and even then I've managed to trip the breaker on the heavy re-saw jobs.

Another tip: Dust collectioni sucks just like any other bandsaw. However if you put a hose under the table near the guides it will get nearly everything. And luckily, a standard 2.5" gate will kind of snap into the space and stay there on its own. Just put a stubby piece of hose about 3-4" long on the gate, and stuff it in there.

Comment

Working...