• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luckbox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Holly Springs, NC

Drill Press

I have just purchased a used Ridgid drill press model 1500 and it is great shape, my question is does a mortising attachment exist for this drill press and if so is it worth purchasing.
    I love lamp.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

There are generic mortising attachments out there, but for the same or even less money, you can get a HF dedicated mortiser, which does a very good job for the money, and stays set up for when you need it.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I don't have time to go into details Luckbox.. but avoid the attachement and heed what Uncle Cracker said if you need to do a lot of mortising and you don't want to learn by hand.

A DP is a finesse machine designed to deliver a sharp bit on target to produce a small hole with the design of the bit doing the work. When you subject the smaller and finer gears to the task of delivering a chisel to square a hole in hard-wood.. you are over-taxing those gears and the shorter handles aren't designed for the leverage required anyway.

Good luck...

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...attachrvu.html
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

I read the review, and agree with the verdict, don't waste your money on a drill press mortising attachment. Somebody's bright idea that should have done some real life testing before putting this boat anchor candidate on the market.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Luckbox
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Holly Springs, NC

Well thank you all for helping me not make a colossal mistake. I think I will take the money I had planed to spend on one and wait for a 20% off Harbor freight coupon and pick one up there. For the amount I will use it I am sure it is my best option. Thanks again I hate spending money on crap, and I am sure if I would have bought one mine to would be thrown into the woods.
            I love lamp.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a dedicated mortiser after using the delta mortising adapter kit on my DP for a while. I really can't express how much better the dedicated mosrtiser is, it's like night and day.

If you can, try and get the Jet or the Delta mortisers, their fit and finish is much better than the HF, one of the magazines tested the HF and gave it low marks for user friendliness, the poor fit and finish gave some operational problems that will likely reduce your using pleasure.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...