Help me decide....too many table saws!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jself
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • North Carolina.

Help me decide....too many table saws!!!

Yes....I actually have too many table saws (4) in my basement shop. My shop is not that large and I need to move at least 1 of them (maybe 2) out. I am fond of each of them and am not quite sure what to do with them. Let me give some background information.

I purchased a Rigid TS2424 5+ years ago when we bought the house we live in now. I have used that saw for numerous home improvement projects and a wide variety of WW projects. It has been a good performer and I have several nice accessories to go with it.

I have always wanted a BT3K (I have followed the forum for several years) and I finally bought a used BT3K a couple of months ago. I actually bought 2 saws (1994 and 2000 model) with the idea that I would make 1 good saw out of them. I kept buying parts and pieces (shims, SMT, extra fence, etc.) and I now have one very good BT3K and one good BT3K. I also purchased the accessory package (dust collector bag, dado insert, router kit, etc.) and upgraded the shim package on the 2000 model to use the BT3100 shim design. I have had a lot of fun with the BT3K. It was my original idea to sell the 1994 model to my younger brother and keep a BT3K and the Rigid TS2424.

The problem is that I found someone who was selling an entire garage full of Grizzly woodworking equipment. My brothers and I split up the cache (TS, drill press, jointer, bandsaw, sander and dust collector) and I wound up with the drill press and the cabinet saw for $500. The drill press is exactly the model (G7944) that I was going to buy for $324 from Grizzly....so for $175 more I added a G1023S table saw with a heavy duty Shop Fox mobile base and a G4227 sliding miter table. I now have the G1023S (3 HP, 220V single phase) and the accessory G4227 sliding miter table. I had to invest an additional $100 to add a blade guard, but I still have a very nice (big) mobile saw with minimal investment. The problem is that I don't have much room. I won't have the G1023S set up and functional until later this week, but I expect it to cut really nicely. It is very heavy and I look forward to using it. A long set of extension rails are available for less than $200 for future expansion.

My initial reaction is to sell the Rigid TS2424 and accessories to my younger brother and keep the 2 BT3Ks and the Grizzly. The Rigid has 36" sawing capacity to the right of the blade and can be easily wheeled outside the basement to rip plywood and large pieces. I would do this to avoid having dust all over the basement. I have noticed that the BT3K does not have nearly as much dust and makes some beautiful cuts.

My wife and I plan to build a new house in the Spring and I know that I won't have room for 4 tablesaws. Plus, I would like to get some $$ back out of one or two of these things. I have an idea that I will probably keep the Grizzly 1023S and G4227 sliding table, plus one of the BT3Ks. I would then sell the Rigid to my brother and probably the spare BT3K. What would you guys do? Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? Any experience using the Grizzly? It is the least known saw in the mix.

thanks for the advice.
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Will you not have enough room in the new shop to rip plywood on the Griz?

I say dump it all, and keep the Grizzly.

Ofcourse if you lived closer to PA, I would recommend selling that Grizzly

Enjoy the torture of deciding.

Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you keep the two BT3000s and do a franken saw job on it (end-attach the two sets of rails to make a wide table with two motors) then it won't take any more room than a single saw with wide rip capability. use it for dados and wide rips for cutting down panels. Then keep the Big griz for tough ripping and heavy duty jobs.

Sell the Ridgid - though it has some sentimental value it is not more accurate than the BT nor more heavy duty than the Griz.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

First and foremost, YOU REALLYSUCK!!!!! (That's a good thing...)

I really think you should ship the Griz to St. Louis. I'll be happy to store it for you...

I'm with Loring--keep the Griz and the BTs and sell the Rigid.

Have fun!

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

I've been using my 1023SLX for 1 1/2 years, great saw. Even if my shop were three times as large I couldn't find a need for more than one TS.
          I'd keep the Griz and make several people happy by selling the other three saws. Pat
          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Sugarman
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2006
            • Chester County, PA
            • BT3100-1

I would keep the Griz and one of the BTs. I would keep one of them with a dado setup, probably the BT. Wish I had your problem.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw

I don't have any advice or input at all other than to say I'd like to see pics of a basement shop big enough to house four table saws.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Keeping the Griz seems like a no brainer to me, but if you sold all but the Griz, is there another tool that would give more capability than owning two saws?
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                  I don't have any advice or input at all other than to say I'd like to see pics of a basement shop big enough to house four table saws.
                  I can't fit 4 saws in mine. More likely 6. I have over 600 square feet for my shop in the basement and if I wanted I could reclaim another 300 that's being used for storage. I'm actually going to be subdividing it into a bunch of little rooms with specific purposes soon I hope. The "Spinning Room" with my lathes and drill press, the "finish Room", and the larger "BT Room".

As to advice for our saw overwhelmed fiend..... keep the Griz and one BT, sell the others. If you decide later that you don't need the BT, get rid of it. As much as I love the BT and have no plans on upgrading anytime soon, what can it do that the griz with the sliding table can't? In fact my plan, when the time comes is to get one of Griz's 12" sliding Table Saws (Euro style) that runs $3k+. The middle (US stlye) saws just don't offer anything better than what I have now.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• jself
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2005
                    • North Carolina.

thanks...

I appreciate all of the advice regarding the saws. I finally got the 220V wired this weekened and got the Grizzly 1023 up and running. I was very surprised at the difference using the 3HP Grizz. The big ShopFox fence squares up well and the scale on the fence is really easy to use. I really got a good deal on the G1023. It is a lot of saw for the money. All I need now is a 110V dust collector.

I am planning on selling one of the BTs and the Rigid immediately. I would sell the other BT3000, but my wife and I are building another house this year. I can see several situations where a 110V saw (with great dust collection) could be used.

I have bought a ton of parts for the BT3000s that I won't need now. I might post a few on BT3Central to see if anyone is intersted. Thanks for all the help!!

Comment

• Crash2510
                      • Feb 2006
                      • North Central Ohio

Originally posted by jself
                      I appreciate all of the advice regarding the saws. I finally got the 220V wired this weekened and got the Grizzly 1023 up and running. I was very surprised at the difference using the 3HP Grizz. The big ShopFox fence squares up well and the scale on the fence is really easy to use. I really got a good deal on the G1023. It is a lot of saw for the money. All I need now is a 110V dust collector.

I am planning on selling one of the BTs and the Rigid immediately. I would sell the other BT3000, but my wife and I are building another house this year. I can see several situations where a 110V saw (with great dust collection) could be used.

I have bought a ton of parts for the BT3000s that I won't need now. I might post a few on BT3Central to see if anyone is intersted. Thanks for all the help!!
                      i would be interested in a new fence and a dual slot miter if you parted out the saws
                      Phil In Ohio
                      The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...