• Show
Clear All
  • Wandere
    Established Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Madison, WI area
    • BT3000

Holbren router bits - Blue vs. Yellow?

I'm seeing some great deals on the yellow Holbren router bits via google searches....too good....wondering if they're carbide-less, etc.

Looking for my first set of bits, was going to go the BT3central route and start with Holbren and then replace with Whiteside as needed.

For the life of me, I can't find the the talked about Holbren blue ~30 piece carbide set. The only all-around set I could find on their site was the Whiteside 7 piece puppy.

So, are the yellow ones being sold as Holbren legit?

Thanks,

-Rob
  • tjmac44
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006
    • Omaha, Nebraska

Holbren Yellow bit set cuts good for me. Bought multi piece set for some ridiculous low price a while back. The Holbren raised panel bit sets are also legit.
    Shipping and service is also a Holbren trademark.
    Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Wandere
      I'm seeing some great deals on the yellow Holbren router bits via google searches....too good....wondering if they're carbide-less, etc.

Looking for my first set of bits, was going to go the BT3central route and start with Holbren and then replace with Whiteside as needed.

For the life of me, I can't find the the talked about Holbren blue ~30 piece carbide set. The only all-around set I could find on their site was the Whiteside 7 piece puppy.

So, are the yellow ones being sold as Holbren legit?

Thanks,

-Rob
      Holbren's standard bits are blue. He got a deal on some yellow bits that were comparable to his blue ones a while back and had a sale on them (probably what your reading about). I don't find any of the sets on his site right now, but I know he has sold things without having them on his site before (finally posted the brad point bits). You best bet is to call or email him, to see what he has right now.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Wandere
        Established Member
        • Dec 2007
        • Madison, WI area
        • BT3000

Ah, thanks much. I Should have kept the links, having trouble finding the exact ones again.

It looks like overstock.com is confused...30 piece set came up after searching for Holbren, brand is HomePro. C2 carbide listed in materials, C3 Carbide also listed. MSN had listed a set like this as Holbren too (via amazon)

Just noticed on one listing that it's a 1/4" shank kit...was surfing at 2AM, must've missed it in my groggy search for the best router bit deals, I swear it didn't say 1/4" on the one I found last night.

So...Holbren = Homepro? Same stock photo is used: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J42G7M?...0&linkCode=asn

Ah well, back to the hunt for a Holbren or Whiteside set for a song

Comment

• Wandere
          Established Member
          • Dec 2007
          • Madison, WI area
          • BT3000

Ahhhh.....that explains it, thanks LR. Good advice, will email 'im.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Holbren gives you a 10% discount just for being a BT3 member. That's like a year-round sale.
            Look up his posts, he gives the coupon code for it.

OK, I looked it up for you! Use it at checkout.
            Brian
            Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            www.holbren.com
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2007, 11:30 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Brian has stated before that certain companies, (for lack of the proper terminology) own certain colors. Yellow seems to be the universal anyones color. So while some of those links are probably Holbren bits (resellers), not all of them are going to be (or the same grades of carbide, etc).
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Wandere
                Established Member
                • Dec 2007
                • Madison, WI area
                • BT3000

Much obliged, thanks

Comment

• jtrcy
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2005

You might also check out some of the Woodline bits available through Amazon.com - they have a lifetime warranty and are probably as decent as the Holbrens, I'd imagine. I've been happy with those I've used - I bought a 12 pc set for $55 a few years back and recently picked up the 66 pc set on Amazon a while back at the deal price of $87 or so.

They'll replace them no questions asked as part of their warranty.

JT

Comment

• Wandere
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Madison, WI area
                    • BT3000

Not a bad idea knowing that I'll likely burn/break several along the learning curve.

Reading reviews now, thanks for the pointer.

-Rob

Comment

• Holbren
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Heathrow, FL.

OK, so here goes the explanation.

I was selling those yellow sets on overstock.com and doing quite nicely. Overstock decided that if you didn't do $75K per month in sales they put you through a middleman. Well, having too much inventory I went along with it making no money along the way.

That middleman is the person you see selling those bits under the homepro name and all my yellow bits are gone. I know he has a 24 piece yellow set but I don't know where they come from. They are not from me.
                      Brian
                      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      www.holbren.com

Comment

• Doug Jones
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Indiana
                        • Delta 36-444

Originally posted by Holbren
                        I know he has a 24 piece yellow set but I don't know where they come from. They are not from me.
                        Sounds to me if your looking for the Holbren quality router bit, you should shop at the Holbren web site and take advantage of the coupon discount.

Comment

Working...