Cleaning the tops...wire brush on drill?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wandere
    Established Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Madison, WI area
    • BT3000

Cleaning the tops...wire brush on drill?

Cleaning up a forgotten BT3 and I've got a few questions

1st: I'm a relative tool noob, first house is requiring a lot of them.

The Aluminum plates on top are matte grey in the channels and partly oxidized/scratched on top (not too bad really). I tried some Noxom (acid and ammonia) with so-so results, rag came off very black but not much visible difference as far as "shine" or texture. My nose hairs melted off too, bonus.

I buffed a bit with fingertips and 000 cheap-o steel wool, shined up the surface well and it was smooth then started turning it black. A quick swipe with the noxom removed the black. Anything to worry about with steel wool shredding under your fingertips while you polish the tops? Bits and pieces here and there?

I hit a small spot with a wire brush on a drill...shined it up VERY fast but also removed a wee bit of the matte grey in the tops crevice. Hrmm...

Is it "okay" to use wire wheels on the surface of the Al top parts? I think I've got a brass one that came with a HF grinder too.

Haven't touched the front/rear rails yet, not sure they need anything other than a sponge bath.

Saw was stored in a dirty area, even has the pre-recall power switch too.

Appreciate the advice, running out to find teflon spray tomorrow (missed the short Sunday hours today)

-Rob
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Johnson's paste wax (look in the grocery store around the floor cleaners).

Aluminum oxidizes very quickly and tenatiously. When the oxide is rubbed off, it looks black. Because it is tenatious, it does not flake off like steel and thus the material does not significantly degrade from the oxidation.

The top of the BT3100 has a clear finish to help avoid the bare aluminum putting black streaks on the wood. Now that you have removed it, the simpliest thing to do is to wax it. When you notice black marks on your wood, wax it again.

It seems you are cleaning much too agressively. If the chemicals were strong enough to melt your hairs, think what it would do to the motor or belts of the BT3100. The top does not need wire brushed. It needs to be smooth on top - it can have junk in the bottom of the ribs - and it is best if it has a finish of some kind to avoid marking the wood. A scraper to knock off globs of glue or finish and a wax job is all I do.

Jim

Comment

• Wandere
      Established Member
      • Dec 2007
      • Madison, WI area
      • BT3000

Ah, good to hear I may be overdoing it!

New toy, want-to-make-it-bright-and-shiny syndrome kicked in I think.

I've read posts on oxidation remover and 000 wool, thought I'd give it a go...I tend to get a bit overzealous.

I think a good deal of the clear coat is already lost on this puppy, will hit the worst spots and then will focus on sealing 'er well.

Thanks again,

-Rob

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sounds like you have a BT3000 not a BT3100 so they have different finishes.

The BT3100 (black rails, yellow and blue elev wheel.) had a powder coating on aluminum top.

The BT3000 has the black elevation/bevel wheel and the rails are silver.
        The top is anodized alminum which is then I think machined to make the tops of the ribs raw aluminum.

I would think steel wire power brushes would be awful - the cleaning devices are harder than the table top which is a diaster in the making - your cleaning devices should alwyas be softer than any item you clean.

I don't know what you got on your saw but most likely unless you splashed paint or other chemicals on it, it just has dirt and grime. I'd go after it with soap and a soft bristle brush, maybe some goo-be-gone for tape stickem and stuff. Maybe mineral spirits for oils and greasey stuff. Then when clean a few coats of Johnsons Paste Wax will make it slike nicely and be easier to clean next time.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Wandere
          Established Member
          • Dec 2007
          • Madison, WI area
          • BT3000

Ah...bt3000 it is too.

Soap and degreasers it is, I'll put away the steel wool and nose-hair stripping oxidant removers.

Thanks much

-Rob

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

If you want to clean it more, get a good flat backer board such as a scrap of Corian and use 400 or finer wet/dry sand paper. Dupont rubbing and polishing compounds are also safe to use, as neither contain silicones. Make sure any wax or top coat you use is silicone free. That will screw up wood finishes.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
              • Dec 2006
              • hagerstown, md

I used 800 grit and then mothers aluminium polish......shiny
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

Comment

Working...