• Show
Clear All
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

biscuit joiner question

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm making a small project for the wife for Christmas...it's a "charging valet" sort of like that pictured in the link.

I'm using 1/2" maple. I'm at the point in the project where I'm ready to make the final cuts before assembly. I had planned on using mortise & tenon joinery where necessary (simple butt joints will work in some places), but I just happen to know that I'm getting a DeWalt biscuit joiner from her for Christmas (she doesn't realize how easy it is to verify which items have been purchased on my Amazon wish list )

I've never used a biscuit joiner before, but I'm thinking this might be a perfect application for it. Can one be used on 1/2" stock...or is that too thin? I'm thinking I might put off finishing this until after Christmas so I can put my new toy to use.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws
  • SARGE..g-47

I think it can be used on 1/2" if yoy use the small bicuits, but there are others that are better qualified to answer that question. But... I just wanted to add that I would not wait and use the M & T's as I can think of no reason to regret that decision.

Good pieces have been sucessfully completed for centuries before anyone ever felt a real need for a biscuit joiner and designed one.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I wouldn't use a BJ in less than 1/2" material, I'd think that 1/2" is about the limit...
      the biscuit is something like .170-.180 thick so the material above and below a perfectly centered biscuit would be about .170 thick...

Too thin and the biscuit could be "telegraphed" and show its outline and become a weak point to boot.

Normally it's not critical to have to center the biscuit perfectly, the beauty is that you only have to be a consistent difference below the reference surface (usually the top of the workpiece. In this case, you would need to line up pretty carefully.

But: if you are making her a Xmas present then you can't wait 'till Xmas to get your new tool to use... How are you going to justify that without revealing that you "peeked"? You'll just have to turn around and make a new project with the BJ right after its received.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-20-2007, 12:26 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mschrank
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Hood River, OR, USA.
        • BT3000

Thanks for the speedy replies and advice!

I'm taking the rest of the day off to go home and work on this. I'll use the M&T joints.

I didn't intentionally "peek" to find out what I was getting. I simply logged onto Amazon to add one more item to my wish list and noticed that most of the items I had previously added were no longer there. I noticed a drop-down box at the top that allows you to toggle between "purchased" and "un-purchased" items on the wish list. Amazon made it too easy.

In a couple of months I'll have to somehow explain to the wife that in the future, she'll need to set up her own Amazon account (we share one now) and don't click "Buy now" right from the wish list screen. I really don't like knowing exactly what I'm getting. I usually throw a bunch of items up there thinking she'll pick one or two. Twice now she's bought almost everything I list I did put a Powermatic 66 on there this year...but looks like she does have a limit
        Mike

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

In lieu of using biscuits or M&T, you can use loose splines. A 1/8" spline can be created with a saw kerf or a router bit. This would give you 3/16" above and below the spline, and give you a choice of materials to use for the splines.

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by mschrank
            Thanks for the speedy replies and advice!

I'm taking the rest of the day off to go home and work on this. I'll use the M&T joints.

I didn't intentionally "peek" to find out what I was getting. I simply logged onto Amazon to add one more item to my wish list and noticed that most of the items I had previously added were no longer there. I noticed a drop-down box at the top that allows you to toggle between "purchased" and "un-purchased" items on the wish list. Amazon made it too easy.

In a couple of months I'll have to somehow explain to the wife that in the future, she'll need to set up her own Amazon account (we share one now) and don't click "Buy now" right from the wish list screen. I really don't like knowing exactly what I'm getting. I usually throw a bunch of items up there thinking she'll pick one or two. Twice now she's bought almost everything I list I did put a Powermatic 66 on there this year...but looks like she does have a limit
            The thing about the Amazon wish list is that the item wished for is removed from the list when purchased. If that doesn't happen then you could possibly get the same item numerous times as the viewers of your wish list will still see it as "not purchased". Might be ok for socks but getting 10 biscuit joiners might be a pain. Just a thought.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I've used a lot of FF (Face Frame) sized biscuits in 1/2" material. I don't know how the DW jointer works with these, but my PC has a 2" blade for these little guys, and plunge settings that make doing them a snap. I've got some picture frames that have heavy glass and backing, and they're solid as a rock.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

You can use biscuits in 1/2 inch thick stock but if the pieces are less than a couple inches wide you need the smaller blade the Porter Cable comes with to use the littler biscuits. Biscuits are surprisingly strong - I've used them to make interior doors - and very fast. I don't think maple would telegraph the slot I would worry more about softer wood. Mortise and tenon is good but takes much longer. I got a hollow chisel mortiser to speed them up. Still take a lot more time than biscuits or pocket screws.

Jim

Comment

• lkazista
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Enough about the Joiner already!

How did you go about building the charging station?

My Wife wanted to buy one of these for like $80 ! ! ! ! !

So I need to build one or part with way too money. Any pointers, tips, or plans are greatly appreciated.

Geez, maybe I can buy yours for $40 <HA>

Thanks man, and Happy Holidays.

Lee Kazista
                  Last edited by lkazista; 12-20-2007, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• newood2
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Brooklyn, NY.
                    • BT3100-1

How about box or finger joint. It would still look good.
                    Howie

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

I've used biscuits in 1/2" stock often. They work great, all of my spice shelves and key shelf were done in 1/2" with biscuit joinery.

Keith
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• mschrank
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Hood River, OR, USA.
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by lkazista
                        Enough about the Joiner already!

How did you go about building the charging station?

My Wife wanted to buy one of these for like $80 ! ! ! ! !

So I need to build one or part with way too money. Any pointers, tips, or plans are greatly appreciated.

Geez, maybe I can buy yours for $40 <HA>

Thanks man, and Happy Holidays.

Lee Kazista
                        I ended up going with M&T joints...I'll just have to wait for the BJ (and act surprised when I open it) and use it on another project.

I don't have it quite assembled yet...it's going to be a hectic weekend to get this done before Tuesday morning. I really wanted to get an earlier start, but this time of year is just too crazy. The part that is really frustrating me right now is the finish. I found a decent piece of maple, but I just won't have the time to do it justice. I was thinking just going with a few coats of Varathane, but now I'm thinking that if I can finish the final cuts (and not screw anything up too bad), I'll have time to try the Seal-a-Cell/Arm-R-Seal process.

I'll post pics when it's done...but be forewarned that this is a function-over-form piece....nothing fancy. If the finished product doesn't make you gag, I'll gladly pass along the plans I drew up in Sketchup.
                        Mike

Comment

Working...