• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Transfer Punches

I bought a set of these Transfer Punches from Lee Valley when they were on sale for $9.99.

My allotted space for my shop is rather small. So, I mount a lot of small tools on boards that I hang on the wall. Small belt sander, grinder, Lion miter cutter etc. I have always had difficulty drilling all four mounting holes, in the board, to match the tool. Usually three would line up. This inexpensive set has solved that problem.

Now, HF has the same set. Their recent ad lists them at $4.99. Regular price on line is $9.99.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

So I've never used this tool.
    Are there a assortment of punches in diameters (like a drill bit set),
    Pick the punch closest to but smaller in dia to the mounting hole.
    Looks like each punch has a centered point to make a starting dimple for drilling in the exact center of the hole? Place the punch in the mounting hole and tap it with a hammer?

whats the range - 3/32 to 1/2" by 1/64? (looks like about 28 punches)
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Loring,

Yes, 28 punches, 3/32'' to 1/2'' punches (by 64ths), plus one 17/32'' punch. Your description of their use is correct.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

You mean you don't just drill the whole too large and let the piece flop around? Huh. Learn sumphin' ever' day.

JR

ps Thanks for the tip, Steve. At $5, how can you go wrong?
        JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scmhogg
          Loring,

Yes, 28 punches, 3/32'' to 1/2'' punches (by 64ths), plus one 17/32'' punch. Your description of their use is correct.

Steve
          Obvioiusly, another tool I need.

So, in a pinch (assuming we're working with wood), I could use my brad point bits for a transfer punch set.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

Transfer punches work great. you won't know how you lived without them.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
              You mean you don't just drill the whole too large and let the piece flop around? Huh. Learn sumphin' ever' day.
              Sounds like you need to invest in a Lee Valley hole shrinker...

Comment

• big tim
                • Mar 2006
                • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                • SawStop PCS

I asked for a set of those for christmas.

Tim
                Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• iceman61
                  • Oct 2007
                  • West TN
                  • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                  Transfer punches work great. you won't know how you lived without them.
                  AMEN. When I was in engineering & in charge of the shop, every maintenance man including electrical & the carpenters had their own set. Oh the days of getting to decide on what tools to order with a $50k per year budget for tools.

I remember ordering tools sets from Sears. I would order a 1/2" drive ratchet set & instead of them sending 1 set they would send one case of ratchet sets. Happened all the time.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

These things are VERY common in pen turning for disassembling pens. I have used them for other things since buying them for pen turning. I have two sets - USA home and Japan home.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by iceman61
                      ...I remember ordering tools sets from Sears. I would order a 1/2" drive ratchet set & instead of them sending 1 set they would send one case of ratchet sets. Happened all the time.
                      They've gotten cheap. Nowadays they won't even accidentally sell you a $529 drill press for any less than $179.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• iceman61
                        • Oct 2007
                        • West TN
                        • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        They've gotten cheap. Nowadays they won't even accidentally sell you a $529 drill press for any less than $179.
                        I hear they hire the sign people that get fired from road construction, the ones that hold the Stop & Go sign.

Comment

• bearwood
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jul 2007

sears

used to be if you returned a tool to sears..no questions asked. money back. now you have to pay a 15% restocking fee. used to besears craftsman tools power or hand, were guareented for life... free replacement. now only certain hand tools, very few. used to be a sears tool salesman, like a home depot salesman, had to know thier stuff. Now both companies are hirering morons who know nothing of what they sell. Ever since they merged with K-Mart it has gotten ever so much the worse.
                          lenny

Comment

• ryan.s
                            • Feb 2006
                            • So Cal
                            • Ridgid TS3650

I've been meaning to get a set of these. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by bearwood
                              used to be if you returned a tool to sears..no questions asked. money back. now you have to pay a 15% restocking fee. used to besears craftsman tools power or hand, were guareented for life... free replacement. now only certain hand tools, very few. used to be a sears tool salesman, like a home depot salesman, had to know thier stuff. Now both companies are hirering morons who know nothing of what they sell. Ever since they merged with K-Mart it has gotten ever so much the worse.
                              lenny
                              From some of the power tools I had owned and had access to (neighbor who kept everything), the power tools didn't have a lifetime warranty. Just the hand tools. Some of the ones he, I, and others I know have and had, are:
                              No longer made (certain socket sizes, dogbone wrench, etc)
                              No longer a Craftsman brand (newer examples, Weiss snips, and Robogrip pliers), now oem makers brand.
                              Now serviced, in a way they were originally thought to be (handles that were replaceable, refillable tape measures for broken tapes). From what I have seen of Sears in my life, this kind of thing changes so when they are very profitable, they tend to just replace instead of repairing (time verses cost).

People tended to replace a broken handle themselves (not any more), replace the guts of their tapes (again not any more), consider things consumable like Drill bits, chisels, etc (not any more), and not return things like Dull knives because they didn't know how to sharpen (Craftsman knives have come and gone at least 4 times in my life). They weren't tool renters (Sears, HD and others had a big return on chainsaws after an ice storm a few years back, my local HD, had 135 chainsaws returned in one day). Their employees had to know their stuff, and used the tools, now everyone wants it all, and cheap (consumerism verses conservism), and skills have gone by the wayside. Things gave (only us, as customers, not consumers, can bring this back). Some common sense is required from both parties when returning something (afraid too many times it doesn't happen), and if you read on the back of your hand tools, you will see two things:
                              Satisfaction guaranteed (what things are normally replaced under) and lifetime warranty (NOT the same thing).

Kinda a pet peeve of mine, as I see this confusion a lot, and most people don't even attempt to understand it.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...