• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

2 tools that Norm uses...what are they?

On NYW Norm uses 2 things that I am not completely sure exactly what they are/where to get:

1. On his drill, he has a drill (countersink I believe), then pulls a cover off to expose a driver bit. Is this the Rockler insty-drive? It didnt look like it?

2. He uses a one handed ratchet clamp on his TS fence (for jigs, sacrificial fence, etc)....not sure what type of clamp that is, but I like it!

Thanks
    Gary
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

I don't watch it that often but 1) might be a jack rabbit
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

It is indeed a Jack Rabbit. Both it and the one-handed clamp can be purchased from the Yankee Tools page on the NYW web site.

Bring lotsa money. You'll need it.
      Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by GaryA
        On NYW Norm uses 2 things that I am not completely sure exactly what they are/where to get:

1. On his drill, he has a drill (countersink I believe), then pulls a cover off to expose a driver bit. Is this the Rockler insty-drive? It didnt look like it?

2. He uses a one handed ratchet clamp on his TS fence (for jigs, sacrificial fence, etc)....not sure what type of clamp that is, but I like it!

Thanks
        I don't watch NYW too much, but I do use a Irwin Quick Grip one-handed ratchet clamp a lot. I use the 6" mini-Quick grip for a lot of jigging and temporary fixturing as well as glue-ups. The full size quick grips I also use for glue ups and heavier jobs. I must have a dozen of the minis, they frequently go on sale - HD, Lowes, Rockler- four-pack for $20. (I see the Amazon price for 1 is $13).

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-6-Inch-M...6784209&sr=8-4

Some people complain about the maximum force you can apply with these ratchet clamps, I haven't found them to be a problem either for clamping glue ups or holding equipment (use at least 2).

P.S. stick to the original QGs, don't buy the knock-offs.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-04-2007, 11:48 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• GaryA
          Established Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Tampa, FL, USA.

Perfect...thanks guys! That is $51 PER clamp, I'm assuming on Amazon (not a pair) right?

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-H3810-S...6791267&sr=8-8
          Gary

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Pretty certain that's Qty: 1, yeah.

If you don't need the snapping turtle-like holding power of locking pliers, I agree with Loring that the mini-size Irwin Qwik Grips are the st*ff. I'm one of those who find them lacking for glue-ups but at the table saw rip fence, drill press table, and router table, I find them indispensable. Even at regular retail, you can buy five or six of the 6" QGs for the price of one of Nahm's clamps.
            Larry

Comment

Working...