X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chadi
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005

ABove table height adjustment on PC893 router

Hi everyone. Going to be buying a router to mount on my BT3100 (custom table not the accessory table). I've been looking at the PC893 two base kit. My question is can i adjust the height of the bit using the plunge base from above the table (similar to a router lift)? I can't afford a router lift so i'm looking for alternatives.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chadi
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

PM sent, Chadi.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Chadi,

I think the short answer is yes except I do not remember if it is the plunge or fixed base kit that adjusts from above. I think it is the fixed base. Others that I think do this is the latest Bosch and I think the Milwaukee.

I do not know your experience/skill level or how many tools you have but I made my own lift for about $50 worth of parts along the lines of an article in the March 2004 American Woodworker entitled "Shop Made Router Lift". I think you can get a copy for $3 by calling 715 246 4344. If you are careful and have a drill press, I think you could do the same. Then you do not need a special router although the models that will do this are not that much more than the ones that won't (maybe $50 more). The range of motion provided by the router bases is not the same as at least the lift I made, however. I have several inches of travel in the lift. Another advantage of mine is it attached to the back of the router table and you can tilt up the router top to change bits - much less time consuming that cranking a bit up or taking the motor out of the base.

I did a lot of router table work without any kind of lift, however, and still do it when I mount one of my PC690s on the homemade accessory table of my BT3100 (sometimes its nice to have two router tables so you don't have to change bits). It's a little less convenient but does not compromise the quality of my work.

Lots of good ways to go. My only firm recommendation is to get a good router and preferably a two base kit like you are thinking. Probably cost at least $200 but will last your liftetime plus probably your kids.

Jim

Comment

• Chadi
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2005

ABove table height adjustment on PC893 router

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the advice

Chadi

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

IIRC the 893 fixed base has a thru-table adjust ment for height. The router motor still needs to be locked and unlocked before and after adjustment, which also throws off the adjustment by a bit. Same as the Bosch 1617 late model fixed base units.
          while this is more convenient and still shifts a bit like the under-t he table adjustment, the shifting can be mitigated by just unlocking the base enough and watching the amount it shifts and accomodating for that.

A true router lift costing maybe $200 or so will not require locking the motor in place and allow smoother raising and lowering without the shifting accompanying the locking process.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...