• Show
Clear All
  • Rob25
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • UP Michigan
    • BT 3000

Some questions on drill presses...

I am looking to buy a floor drill press, but I am unsure if there is a difference in power between the .5 horsepower, and the .75 hp. I know there is a difference, but is it noticeable? I plan to use it for mostly woodworking, and the occasional metal work. Is the .5 hp plenty, or should I be looking at a 3/4 hp press? Thanks.

Rob
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you bet there is a difference.
    A more powerful motor will be able to turn those bigger bits - large 3" forstners or rosette cutters or beam cutters.
    A weaker drill press will stall out, cut slowly and burn the wood.

If you are not going to be cutting the bigger cutting bits over 1/2" or 1" then you don't need the power.

Why are you getting a bigger drill press?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Mine has a 1/2 hp motor but the limitation is the small v-belt. It slips long before the motor would stall. It has a lot of speeds, however, and only one set of pulleys so I live with going slower with large bits. The biggest limitation is with large hole cutters. It has always been able to do what I wanted it to, in wood or metal, but I sometimes have to go slow.

Jim

Comment

Working...