• Show
Clear All
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

Ryobi router bits?

I don't have too many router bits and was wondering if the super cheap sets are worth buying. HD has a Ryobi 25 piece set for around $90 and Sears has a 30 piece set for around $110. Individual Freud or other quality bits are $15-$30 each. For casual use, are the Ryobi or Craftsman bits any good? I haven't used my router much yet. I have always done lots of rough framing and remodelling projects, but am just now starting to get more into finish work. I assume that there will be a few bits that I will use more than the rest and for those I could replace the cheapo ones as they get dull. What do you guys use?
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I own the big set of ryobi bits. they are fine for small projects/casual use. I buy more expensive bits when I know I am going to do alot of work with them or need something more heavy duty.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• steve-u
      Established Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Bartlett, Ill.
      • Ryobi BT 3100

I have not used the Ryobi but MCLS is considered a decent router bit for the money and they have a good deal on a couple different sets as shown in the links below.

If you want to go with a small set of the best then check out the link to member Brian Holbren's site for Whiteside bits at the last link below. The price is very reasonable for what you get if you think you will be using most of the bits.

Steve

Whiteside router bits, Byrd shelix jointer and planer cutterheads, saw blades and other woodworking cutting tools from holbren.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I am with Steve-u, go with the MLCS or Holbren sets.

THisis always a philosophical argument - whether to buy a big set of assorted bits of moderate quality for $2-5 a bit or to buy individual bits of quality (at $10-20 per bit) as needed. I don't think that the bits you get in such sets are inferior bits, the price just reflects economy of scale.

I find that the assortment of bits allows me more freedom of choice as I build, I don't need to wait or pay more to experiment with different sizes of roundovers and grooves, I can test fit at will, and finally if I only use 1/3 of the bits I will have broken even.

I do agree that the Whiteside bits have over and over again been rated as top performers, this means that they are intiially sharper and stay sharper longer providing more quality cuts. And you pay for this; their prices are usually premium priced.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd think that the Holbren or MLCS bits would make for a better value. Likely less expensive and at least as high quality...possibly better.

Whiteside and Infinity are my best bits. Freud and CMT are excellent too.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I bought a medium priced bit set many years ago. There are bits in that set that never got used and probably won't. As luck has it your first needs may not have the bit needed. I got used to buying exactly what I needed when I needed it. Some of the sets are pretty complete and will offer a good selection. You can always upgrade to a better bit when you figure out what you use the most.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I buy individual bits. I'd rather wait till I need a profile and get what I need then spend money on a set and not use half the bits in the set. My bits are mostly Whiteside. They are very very nice to use. For example I have a Woodcraft flush trim and the same in a Whiteside bit. The Whiteside gives a cleaner cut with less chatter.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JeffG78
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                • BT3100

Thanks everyone. I figured that many would never get used, but I was thinking of the old saying "If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem starts looking like a nail". With only a few router bits to my name, I figure that I will be less likely to use my router than if I had a few dozen to choose from.

I will go buy a few key bits and build my collection from there.

Comment

Working...