Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Centec 1'' TRAVEL MACHINIST'S DIAL INDICATOR

hi,

i want to get one of these, but have been thinking of asking if you think that this 1'' TRAVEL MACHINIST'S DIAL INDICATOR from HF is worth the sale price of 5.99 ? (click here) Is there a better one at a better value that would be recommened for some reason instead of this one? All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I have one. It works fine as far as I'm concerned. If you intend doing professional metal machining you might think twice about buying it. For truing up the SMT periodically it plenty good enough.

JR
    JR

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

I have two and use them for setting jointer blades and use just one to check runout on the DP, TS Arbor and runout on the lathe. They work fine for setting up WW machinery and would recommend them for that.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

I have one and it is great. No point in spending more $.

The base is on sale as well. I use the magnetic base to attach to miter gauge to check miter to blade alignment. Then I use it to check miter to fence.

Dial indicators are way cool. They are NOT for nerds. They are NOT the same as pocket protection! They are NOT just for anal people. I promise myself this all the time. My father was not impressed by my level of accuracy to say the least. LOL!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have two or three and they all seem to work smoothly and repeatably and accurately. I don't see where the $40 and 50 and up units would work much better. I think the fit and finish is not absolute top notch but its good. Definately worth the $6. One of the real bargains at HF, almost as good as the digital calipers.
          Wish they had the digital dial gauge for under $10.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • BT3100

which base is on sale?

jeffery,

which base do i get for it? can you point to the one that is on sale, also can you give me the link to the base's coupon?

i basically need it to check alignment on the TS, miter fence, etc and is only intended for ww, no machining stuff. got to get good at ww, then its going to be auto mechanic (2nd hobby that gets only some time when something on the car breaks down that isnt covered by warranty).

thanks for the replies and the reviews. its has boosted my confidence in this piece and i will give a try.

regards,

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I have the same indicator and base. I think I got it from Grizzly on sale. It looks identical though. It is quite good for what it is. I am building a cnc mill and used mine the other day to true up my linear bearing slides to perfectly parallel. Well pretty close to it anyway.
              I think this tool sits right up there with the 6" digital calipers that HF sells. Good tools at a killer price compared to pro grade stuff.
              Lee

Comment

• eddy merckx
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Western WA
                • Shop Fox Cabinet

I have one which is perfectly fine. I use it for setting the planer and jointer as well as TS miter slots. The only thing that would make it better is if it came with selection of tips. I found that the pointy tip (the removeable part which touches whatever you're measuring) isn't useful if you're trying to set knives. You still need a "button" tip which is flattish.

I think Loring made his own button tip. You can also order one from Enco for around 2 bucks. I recently got one plus a smaller dial indicator for $10.
                I found that the smaller dial indicator fits into some spots that the HF one won't.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Eddy

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by eddy merckx
                  I have one which is perfectly fine. I use it for setting the planer and jointer as well as TS miter slots. The only thing that would make it better is if it came with selection of tips. I found that the pointy tip (the removeable part which touches whatever you're measuring) isn't useful if you're trying to set knives. You still need a "button" tip which is flattish.

I think Loring made his own button tip. You can also order one from Enco for around 2 bucks. I recently got one plus a smaller dial indicator for $10.
                  I found that the smaller dial indicator fits into some spots that the HF one won't.

Eddy
                  I think you want a different tip instead of the button tip (Style M on the illustration) which appears to have a convex measuring surface.
                  You want the style KK which is completely flat. I like to use the
                  .625" Dia. one for checking bit, blade, or knife height without worrying about where on the tip it contacts the tool.
                  http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...ITEM=325-13780
                  but any smaller dia. one would work well, like .5" or .375" as long as you placed the flat part against the cutting edge.

I also have a PDF file on how to make your own flat contact that should work well. Just PM me.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • BT3100

cool, i just found the coupon for the stand next to the coupon for the dial.

i dont understand the last two post about the knob? where do i use them and for what?

also, loring, if you can email me the file at footprintsinconcrete@yahoo.com, i'd appreciated it.

thanks,

Comment

Working...