X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmnelson
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Long Beach, CA
    • Craftsman 21829/Jet 708100 (don't ask)

115/120 Volts -- Any Difference?

I'm currently using the Craftsman 21829, which I believe runs on 120 volts. In looking at some contractor-type saws, I note that they run on 115 volts. The three-pronged plugs look the same, but is there any difference between the two? Should I be able to run a 115 volt saw on the same outlet I've been using for my 21829?

Thanks.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

No difference. You'll also often see "110" and occasionally "117." It's all the same, subject to and within standard power-delivery tolerances.

Technically, what comes off the transformer is 120V and what almost everyone calls "220" is actually 240V.
    Larry

Comment

• jonmnelson
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2007
      • Long Beach, CA

Wow -- what a quick response. Thanks. I'm still on my quest for my first table saw. I thought I'd settled on the 21829, but someone threw the Jet 708100 into the mix. It looks like a great saw I might not ever have to replace, but will take up more of my already crowded garage than the 21829 does. Any thoughts about the 708100 vs. the 21829?

Thanks again.

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by jonmnelson
        Wow -- what a quick response. Thanks. I'm still on my quest for my first table saw. I thought I'd settled on the 21829, but someone threw the Jet 708100 into the mix. It looks like a great saw I might not ever have to replace, but will take up more of my already crowded garage than the 21829 does. Any thoughts about the 708100 vs. the 21829?

Thanks again.
        For the same money I would look at the Craftsman 22114 rather than the Jet. I have one and have been completely happy with it. It comes with Cast Iron wings where the Jet has steel wings. The 22114 is heavier, hybrid design (motor internal), decent fence and can be had for around $529 when on sale. I doubt you would ever need another saw. I had a BT3100 for two years and it was and is a great saw. The 21829 is a similar design made by Ryobi as you probably know. Many folks here have and like the 21829 but if you can arrange the space for it I would recommend a larger saw. If you continue with woodworking as a hobby, your projects will grow and you will likely upgrade anyway. Buy once, wish I had. Just my opinion and not necessarily the right choice for you.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• jonmnelson
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2007
          • Long Beach, CA

Originally posted by ragswl4
          For the same money I would look at the Craftsman 22114 rather than the Jet. I have one and have been completely happy with it. It comes with Cast Iron wings where the Jet has steel wings. The 22114 is heavier, hybrid design (motor internal), decent fence and can be had for around $529 when on sale. I doubt you would ever need another saw. I had a BT3100 for two years and it was and is a great saw. The 21829 is a similar design made by Ryobi as you probably know. Many folks here have and like the 21829 but if you can arrange the space for it I would recommend a larger saw. If you continue with woodworking as a hobby, your projects will grow and you will likely upgrade anyway. Buy once, wish I had. Just my opinion and not necessarily the right choice for you.
          This is my dilemma -- Assuming I stick with woodworking (and I think I will), the 21829 is probably not going to be my last saw, as good as it is. By the same token, I'm worried about having a larger saw taking up a good portion of my garage. I guess it boils down to whether the 708100 (or a similar saw) is that much better than the 21829 that is justifies the added cost and space requirements.

Thanks for your input.

(Maybe I should be posting this in another thread?)

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's a getting started board that might be better for this thread now that its moved away from 110V/115/120

Anyway, one thing to consider is that $300-400 for a saw is not a huge amount of money and while it has limits, I don't think it will limit a hobbyist WWer. It will fit in a reasonable space and be moveable, which is an advantage for you, and it will help you learn.

While there's something to be said for buy once, in the case of the saw there's the question of whether your ultimate saw is a $800 model or a $1500 model, and which $1500 model of several available will it be... experience with a lesser saw will prevent you from making mistakes when you buy a bigger saw.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...