X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doogus
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Bothell, WA, USA.

I am so busy with my daughters softball I have not had time to setup my HF dust collector (it is collecting dust on top of the box right now). I plan to add a Wynn Filter but have not had time.

I can see where the tie down bolts could be a PITA when you want to remove filter. Here is an idea that might work. Buy some cleats at the BORG and attach to sides of collector. Use carriage type bolts to attach so the rounded head is on inside. Buy a ratching tie down strap and just put it over top to hold it down (I wonder if you tighten on it too hard could you crush filter?) If needed you could put a 2nd strap on it 90 degrees from the 1st one.

Having not seen the filter or studied my dust collector I not sure if this would work. Anyone have any thoughts? Here is my crude sketch.

Your Faithful Woodworking Geek,

Doogus

Comment

• jarhead
      • May 2004
      • Boynton Beach, FL.

Is the Spun Bond Polyester filter worth the extra $36? I was about to order the 9E300BL when i saw this thread and considering the new kit.

Comment

• jhinze
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2003
        • Sterling Heights, MI, USA.

Folks,

For those who are considering the conversion, which filter are you considering, the Spun Bond Polyester @ 100 sq ft or the 80/20 Blend Paper is @ 274 sq ft and is there a major benefit to either one?
        -------------------------
        Jim Hinze
        Sterling Heights, MI
        http://www.apfmichigan.com

Comment

• dedaddy
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Dallastown, PA, USA.
          • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

Try emailing them at sales@WynnEnv.com. They respond quickly to most questions.
          Lee
          =============
          I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Good idea, Doogus. The filter appears to have a metal top, or metal rim on the top.

It might be overkill, though. The air hose thing sounds pretty good good to me. If you eventually determined the filter needed to come off frequently, you could probably just bungee/strap the thing to the legs.

JR
            JR

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Given the corrected info on the surface area and dimensions (kudos to BobSch and dedaddy for running that to ground), the main advantage of the spun polyester filter would appear to be that it's washable. Given the greater surface area and lower cost of the 80/20 paper blend filter, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the latter. The "preferred" 9E300BL filter also uses the blend, and offhand I can't think why a washable filter would be of particular interest to a woodworker.

That said, I'm still favoring the 9E300BL. It's cheapest of all, has the most surface area, and while the "hit it with compressed air" solution is no doubt just fine, I still like the bolted mount better than the turnbuckles. Besides, ain't we supposed to be woodworkers? Is making an MDF donut really that big a deal?
              Larry

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Larry,

If I'm decifering their info correctly (a big if), the shape of the 35 series is wider and shorter than the 9 series. IIRC you've got a short overhead in the area where your DC lives.

Would the shorter filter be beneficial?

Just a thought.

JR
                JR

Comment

• doogus
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Bothell, WA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by jhinze

Folks,

For those who are considering the conversion, which filter are you considering, the Spun Bond Polyester @ 100 sq ft or the 80/20 Blend Paper is @ 274 sq ft and is there a major benefit to either one?
                  I sent them an E mail asking just what you want to know. I will let you know their response when I get one.

Doogus

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back

JR, I looked into this once and IIRC the 9E300BL is about the same length as the upper bag. I do have a low overhead in the main shop but the alcove in which the DC sits has more headroom, so I should be okay. I'll make a note to measure it tonight, though (and thanks for the reminder).
                    Larry

Comment

• doogus
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Bothell, WA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by doogus

quote:Originally posted by jhinze

Folks,
                      I sent them an E mail asking just what you want to know. I will let you know their response when I get one.
                      Rick with Wynn replied and said he has had lots of calls today on this new filter and he corrected the website. Looks like all that changed was the more expensive one is washable (just like Larry G said). He gave me no more information.

Doogus

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

He also changed the square footage and sizes on the link dedaddy originally posted.

JR
                        JR

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back

I just noticed another difference. The spun polyester filter's efficiency rating is at 1.0 micron, the 80/20 paper blend's is at 0.5 micron.

Given what dedaddy posted in his new thread ...

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=14255

... I've had a change of heart and am now leaning toward this new kit with the 80/20 filter, instead of the original 9E300BL.
                          Larry

Comment

• jarhead
                            • May 2004
                            • Boynton Beach, FL.

I settled for the Spun Bond Polyester filter. Rick said that because the blend paper filter is more tightly spun, after a while, the fibers will clog the filter and will be harder to clean out.

Comment

• jarhead
                              • May 2004
                              • Boynton Beach, FL.

Has anyone received the new kit with the bags yet? I wonder if I am the only one having problems putting the plastic bag on or just got the wrong size bags.

Comment

• jarhead
                                • May 2004
                                • Boynton Beach, FL.

quote:Originally posted by jarhead

Has anyone received the new kit with the bags yet? I wonder if I am the only one having problems putting the plastic bag on or just got the wrong size bags.
                                I spoke to Rick at Wynn Environmental about the bag size problem. Rick said that the bags are smaller in circumference, but I should be able to stretch them on. I asked the LOML to hold one side while I barely stretched the other side on.

Comment

Working...