• Show
Clear All
  • kmk
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • .Portland, Oregon
    • BT3100-1

Choosing countersinks

I want to buy countersink bits to use with my hand drill and drill press. Which one should I buy?
    I'm confused after seeing different kinds at Woodcraft.

This ?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5538

Or this?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5367

Or this?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3117

Or these?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5154
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Of those four, depending on your budget, I'd buy either the second or third set. I find that screws hold better in holes drilled with tapered, rather than straight, bits.

An alternative to either of these is one of these sets from Lee Valley. I own the five-piece set and find them to be of excellent quality. Note that this set essentially splits the difference in price between the economy set and the Fuller set that you linked to.

OTOH, you might want the convenience of the quick-change hex shank on the first set. If so, there are tapered bits with this feature. I have a set of such bits from Bosch -- around $25 for a four-piece set, as I recall. I use these with my cordless drill/drivers, both of which are equipped with Bosch's Clic-Change system.

The fourth set is for countersinking holes drilled with a separate bit of any size smaller than the countersink. Obviously, this makes drilling and c'sinking the hole a two-step operation. Eventually you'll probably want a set of these in addition to whatever else you choose, actually.
    Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the last one just does a beveled countersink for the head. you would have to drill a hole for the screw itself and possibly a second, larger drill for the unthreaded portion of the screw - making two or three drill steps for each screw.

All the first three are different - they drill the bevel countersink, the threaded hole and the clearance hole all in one go.
      They are all adjustable - you use the allen wrench to move the bevel and the clearance cutters up and down relative to the drill bit for the threaded portion.

The first differs from the 2nd and 3rd - the first has straigh drills for the threaded portion and the 2nd & 3rd have tapered drills. that cut a hole tighter towards the tip - this is supposed to be an advantage.

I didn't really notice the diff in the 2nd and 3rd sets; maybe the quantity or range of sizes.

I note one of the descriptions counts the assemblies as one piece, e.g. a 5 piece set, and the other counts the cutters, bevel, and bore and drill as separate pieces in the piece count (21 pieces)
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by LarryG
        An alternative to either of these is one of these sets from Lee Valley. I own the five-piece set and find them to be of excellent quality. Note that this set essentially splits the difference in price between the economy set and the Fuller set that you linked to.
        I have one of these also, and find that it does everything i need, and does it well. The only other thing i use (occasionally) is a hand-held countersink, or reamer.

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          I have one of these also, and find that it does everything i need, and does it well. The only other thing i use (occasionally) is a hand-held countersink, or reamer.
          And me too
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by RodKirby
            And me too
            You are a sick man, Rod...

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

I use set #2, not very often though as I don't do a lot of screwing.

(Just ask my wife)

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

I got one of these cheap sets on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/22pc-Countersink...QQcmdZViewItem

(I couldn't resist, it was in a moment of weakness.)

Anyway, I haven't tried it yet. I paid $6 w/ shipping. I fully expect to be beyond disappointed. That the bits will be made from pot metal or something.

Just another option, though.

Comment

• Greg.B
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Joppa, Maryland
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I use the last type and love it. Like noted you have to drill the hole using another bit. I usually drill the holes where needed and then run through with the countersink bit. What to keep in mind is there is no easy way to control the depth with those. The others have a stop ring.
                  Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• gwyneth
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Bayfield Co., WI

The first also has hexagonal ends for use in those quick-holder things. If you go that route, the only system I have seen get excellent reviews is the Bosch--and I believe it, having suffered through Makita, Hitachi and several other types.

No. 2 or no. 3, depending on your budget...both let you alter how much of the drill will extend into the second piece of wood as a pilot hole--a very important feature of this type of bit.

The chronic problem with inexpensive versions of no. 2 or 3 is breaking the twist bit because of different leverage forces on the two types of cutters. In fact, Makita (and probably others) actually sell replacement twist bits for their combo things.

My drill bit box has at least 12 different no. 2s or 3s, of different brands obtained locally individually or in sets. Why so many? See the previous paragraph.

Not included, and easily the highest quality, was the DeWalt set I hope is somewhere in a still-unpacked moving carton.

But everybody should also have a single-purpose countersink/reamer because it's incredibly handy, too, particularly for metal and plastic.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

I have number 1 and another brands version of number 4. I have never used the taper bits (and don't know if my Drill Doctor would sharpen them), and wished number 1 didn't have that hex shaft. Then I borrowed my fathers Bosch PS20 for a tight area. Now I am thinking of getting one of the Bosch series, and I love the fact of the interchangeable standard drill bits. As for number 4, several members here recommended using them first, then centering your holes in them.

There is one other thing that Snappy carries, that I prefer over the other brands I have seen. Their depth stops. They grab better then the HF and others I have used (don't screw into the bits shaft)
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• kmk
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • .Portland, Oregon
                        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LarryG
                        Of those four, depending on your budget, I'd buy either the second or third set. I find that screws hold better in holes drilled with tapered, rather than straight, bits.

OTOH, you might want the convenience of the quick-change hex shank on the first set. If so, there are tapered bits with this feature. I have a set of such bits from Bosch -- around $25 for a four-piece set, as I recall. I use these with my cordless drill/drivers, both of which are equipped with Bosch's Clic-Change system.

The fourth set is for countersinking holes drilled with a separate bit of any size smaller than the countersink. Obviously, this makes drilling and c'sinking the hole a two-step operation. Eventually you'll probably want a set of these in addition to whatever else you choose, actually.

I might go with like Lee Valley type from

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...oducts_id/1995

It is little cheaper than Lee Valley but looks like Fuller set.

But I'd like quick change bits.

Comment

• Tarheel
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • N. Carolina

#1 Snappy....I have a set and they are fantastic for this price!

#2 Bought a set and think they aren't hitten on a whole bunch! Had trouble with the bit depth collar adjusting allan screws. Never held all that tight and broke a couple of bits after drilling just a few holes.

#3 Fuller's ,,, The Cadilac's. High dollar but very good from what I have read.

#4 Tried these to countersink T-Track (aluminum) Did a lousy job! Check out these at Lee Valley if you are just looking for the coutersink. Tried them and they are great!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...240,42281&ap=1

Bottom line. I always try the cheap route and end up getting burned! Lesson's learned!

HTH

Wayne

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by Tarheel
                            Bottom line. I always try the cheap route and end up getting burned! Lesson's learned!
                            Or maybe not...

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

I have Fuller tapered drills..don't think you can go wrong with them.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...