Good Jointer/Planer combo suggestions for ~$600?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RyFitz13
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Terryville, CT, USA.
    • BT3100

Good Jointer/Planer combo suggestions for ~$600?

Anyone out there have suggestions for a good jointer and planer that would come in under $600 for both pieces?

I've been assigned this budget by SWMBO, and I'm trying to decide whether I can squeeze in a good-quality planer and jointer, or if I should be looking at other ideas instead.

Also - if you could have only one of these tools, which would you go for? Most of the work I do is on the small-ish scale, though I'll be working on some cabinetry for a bathroom over the coming winter.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I don't think you are going to find a set new for that price. Used would be your best bet if you want both tools.
    I had to pick one tool over the other and went for the jointer first. In addition to jointing lumber it is more versatile - rabbets, tapers, etc. In a pinch you can thickness plane though not as conveniently as you can with a planer.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• eddy merckx
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Western WA
      • Shop Fox Cabinet

I agree with Crockett. You could get a used Dewalt or Ridgid planer for around $200 on Craigslist. You could probably find a used 6" x 46ish" jointer for $200-$300. Good names are Jet, Grizzly or Ridgid. You can even get one of the Taiwanese Harbor freight clones for around $200 new on sale. They aren't too bad. Just don't get a benchtop jointer. You'll outgrow it really quickly.

Eddy

Comment

• jspelbring
        Established Member
        • Nov 2004
        • Belleville, IL, USA.
        • Craftsman 22114

Jp

For under $600?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/spelbringj/Local%20Settings/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=8#

Seriously though, I'm looking for the same thing. I'm saving my pennies (and dollars) for this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0633

It'll be awhile though.
        To do is to be.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm not sure if you understand the tool types that well and are talking about a jointer-planer ANd a THickness planer which are two tools or just the jointer-planer which is really one tool but both joints (straight thin edge suitable for maker larger boards from individual boards, but which can also flatten the face of such a board (which is why its called a jointer-planer) but is not a thickness planer.

You can get both from some real discount/low cost hardware dealers for $600 total
          but a servicable JOinter-planer will be about $350 and a serviceable Thickness planer is around $350. If you watch sales/rebates/deals you may get both for under $300 each if you want a good one but can choose between name brands like delta/ridgid/ryobi etc. but no demand a specific brand

For example I think both the Delta JT360 jointer planer at $370 Amazon and the Delta TP400LS (Thickness planer ) ($370 at Amazon)are both quite servicable units and are close enough that if you are patient, you can get them for under $300 each (about 25% off); took me a while but I got a JT360 for $260.

The TP300 is only $309 but lacks cutterhead lock.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eweu
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2006
            • Silicon Valley, CA

It can be done with some sleuthing and good luck. Earlier this year I got the Makita 2012NB from Amazon for $280. I also got the Craftsman benchtop jointer on sale for under $200 (I don't recall exactly). Both of those items are around $500 and $250 respectively for the "regular" prices.

The Makita is very good. I haven't found any reason to complain. I got the optional dust hood and find that it's pretty clean to operate.

The Craftsman is a re-badged Palmgren as far as I can tell. I got it based on reviews of the Palmgren and, despite its size, it's really quite a performer. I didn't have to adjust anything out of the box and it's dead perfect. Longer beds are always good for a jointer, but for my space constraints it's a good fit.

I also think the advice for looking for a used tool is good. Just be patient.

Comment

• RagerXS
              • Feb 2003
              • Brookline, NH, USA.

I suggest holding out for the Christmas sales. Got my Ridgid jointer and Ridgid planer during 20% off sales before Christmas in years past. At 10% off and $350 each you are only $40 over budget anyway, and the 10% off can be had in short order anyway from either HD or Lowes (and they will match).

~ Fred

Comment

• kirkroy
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Brunswick, MD

I've also got the Craftsman benchtop, which I got on sale for about $180. Doing boards up to 3' works but is pushing it for my skill level (beginner). I would really like something bigger and regret not getting a bigger one from the get go.

Comment

• Garasaki
                  • Sep 2006

Learn how these tools work then buy used.

You could easily be into a 8" jointer and a lunchbox planer with that budget if you have the luxary of time to land a good deal.
                  -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                  -Henry Blake

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

A new Harbor Freight jointer and a Ridgid planer will run under $600 and do just fine.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...