Dead band saw motor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 343
    • Brunswick, MD

    #1

    Dead band saw motor?

    I'm pretty sure I know the answer already but... I was resawing a bunch of 2x4s today and the motor just stopped running. It was VERY hot to the touch (burned the back of a couple fingers). Any chance someone who knows nothing about electric motors (me) can do something to fix this thing? Otherwise, any decent source for motors? The band saw is a 12" Delta 28-190. Servicenet has the motor for $200.

    Thanks,

    Kirk
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    I'm sure you checked the circuit breaker already, but have you perchance tried the saw again since it cooled down? Some motors have thermal overloads that trip out and then reset automatically.

    Comment

    • LCHIEN
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2002
      • 22085
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

      #3
      You probably burned it out, check Crackers advice first. But, look at this:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNUSED-DELTA...QQcmdZViewItem

      on ebay, currently $10.50 with three days left.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

      Comment

      • kirkroy
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 343
        • Brunswick, MD

        #4
        Yeah, first thing I did was check the breaker. No go there. After a few hours of sitting it is still dead.

        Pretty amazing that there's just the right motor available on ebay right now. Thanks for the link! I wouldn't have even thought to check.

        Comment

        • LCHIEN
          Super Moderator
          • Dec 2002
          • 22085
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

          #5
          Originally posted by kirkroy
          Yeah, first thing I did was check the breaker. No go there. After a few hours of sitting it is still dead.

          Pretty amazing that there's just the right motor available on ebay right now. Thanks for the link! I wouldn't have even thought to check.

          there were actually several available from the same seller. I'd check the past sales, if any, and see what they went for.
          Actually picked it (links to eBay) up on Google.

          I also have that Bandsaw.

          That's also the same BS as the current Delta Shopmaster BS220.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

          Comment

          • kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 343
            • Brunswick, MD

            #6
            That looks real promising. They've gone for $26-46 + $18 shipping. I can handle that... Thanks again!

            Comment

            • Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • 7091
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

              #7
              Here's an eBay tip: Don't bid up the price on any item that one particular seller seems to always have more of. Take a stab near the end of the auction if you want, but if you don't get the item, or if it goes beyond what you consider a realistic price (it happens), then contact the seller directly and offer to purchase one offline for a mutually agreeable price (usually somewhere between the lowest he's been getting and the highest). He can save the eBay fees, and you can avoid the hassle of the auction and the extra money you might spend by getting caught up in a bidding crossfire.

              Comment

              • kirkroy
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • 343
                • Brunswick, MD

                #8
                Thanks for the ebay tip. I've only done 12 total transactions on ebay so my experience is very limited. However, in this case it turns out I won't need to bid on ebay. There is no power at the outlet. I plugged the table saw in and got nothing. So, I reset the breaker but still nothing. Plugged the band saw into another outlet and it is working fine. Next step?

                I don't know if I should be happy the band saw works or sad about the outlet, which is the dedicated power supply for my tools. Working tools but no power seems like a poor tradeoff...

                Comment

                • LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • 6693
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

                  #9
                  Originally posted by kirkroy
                  Next step?
                  Turn the breaker OFF and call an electrician. It sounds like you've cooked either the wiring or the outlet, or possibly (but unlikely) the breaker itself.

                  If the breaker didn't trip when you were using the band saw, it may be too large for the wire gauge in that circuit and was unable to protect the wiring as it is intended to do. In any case, DON'T use that circuit again, or even turn the breaker back on, until you get it checked out, as you could have a very dangerous situation on your hands there.
                  Last edited by LarryG; 10-09-2007, 06:21 AM.
                  Larry

                  Comment

                  • kirkroy
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 343
                    • Brunswick, MD

                    #10
                    Thanks, I've shut the breaker off and am searching for an electrician now. I knew this was worse than replacing the band saw motor...

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • 7091
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

                      #11
                      You could probably replace a burned outlet yourself, but the reason it burned would probably remain. Always good to get a pro's advice on something like this. You may need to upsize the wiring to your shop (something everybody should consider).

                      Comment

                      • kirkroy
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 343
                        • Brunswick, MD

                        #12
                        There was a breaker type receptacle hidden behind a pop out panel in the basement. The breaker on that receptacle was tripped. Is that type of breaker different from the type in the electric box?

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • 7091
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

                          #13
                          That sounds more like a GFCI (ground fault) outlet. It is not an overload breaker, but is designed to detect leakage of current to ground through wiring or through an appliance. Most of them will also take out any other downstream outlets wired in series when they trip. If you reset and everything works, fine, but if it trips again, immediately or down the road, then something is wrong. Then it's time to call that electrician.

                          Comment

                          • kirkroy
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 343
                            • Brunswick, MD

                            #14
                            Thanks again!

                            In the not too distant future I definitely plan to upsize the wiring but, as we've only been in this house for a few months, it's just one thing on a long list. It's quickly moving up the list though...

                            Comment

                            • eezlock
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 997
                              • Charlotte,N.C.
                              • BT3100

                              #15
                              bandsaw motor........

                              After you get the circuit checked out to see if that caused the problem, you might want to take the motor to an electric motor repair shop, most likely they can repair it cheaper than buying a new replacement one. eezlock

                              Comment

                              Working...