How often do you "deep clean" your power tools?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

How often do you "deep clean" your power tools?

(Pardon the typo in the title (and the poll)! -- can't figure out how to fix it!)

"Deep clean" here implies things like disassembly, scraping, and scrubbing... not just blowing or vacuuming off the visible dust. =)
    After each use - compuslively
    3.31%
    Daily
    1.65%
    Weekly
    0.83%
    Monthly
    6.61%
    Semi-Yearly
    12.40%
    Yearly
    3.31%
    When I think of it
    32.23%
    When it stops working properly
    32.23%
    Never
    7.44%
    Last edited by Alex Franke; 10-07-2007, 10:59 PM.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I find if you take a few minutes to clean them when your done each day tear downs are a very rare thing. Vacuuming even using a brush while vacuuming doesn't get tools very clean. On the other hand tools that can handle being blasted with high pressure air tend to get clean really quickly but you are generally poluting your environment with fine particles so a mask is a good idea.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Funny you should ask!

Actually, at the end of each work session, I take the vacuum and blow out as much sawdust as possible, and then wipe down the cord as I wrap it up. At the end of the project, I use a damp cloth to wipe off the outside of the tool and the cord. That's it.

On the stationary tools, I pretty much do the same things, except that I wipe down any hardware, exposed steel with oil or suitable protectant like wax.

I had a bunch of tools that I purchased back in the 60's and 70's. Used them occasionally for house projects and repairs, but for the most part they sat in a humid basement for the last 20-30 years. In 2003, when I retired, I took a week to dig them all out, disassemble them right down to the armatures and thoroughly clean out the clumps of sawdust, mold, and dead spiders. Relubed everything and put it all back in service. Surprisingly the only replacement I had to do was the spring steel backing plate on the belt sander which was a bit ragged on the edges. Other than that, everything looks good and runs fine.

I was a bit embarrassed though to think I had neglected them for so long. Henceforth, the new stuff as well as the old, gets the previous stated once over at the end of every use. I might also add that new tools come in nice cases, and the old case-less tools, get bagged. Once I have time for a shop, things should be better all the way around.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

You need another choice in your poll: one titled "When I think they need it"...

Comment

• charliex
          • Mar 2004
          • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
          • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I voted Semi-annually but I agree with Uncle Cracker "When I think they need it"...

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by charliex
            I voted Semi-annually but I agree with Uncle Cracker "When I think they need it"...
            Voted 'Monthly' but didn't read your expanation first. I was thinking of blowing everything out good and that was the closest.

When they need it is more appropriate.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

The only thing I do preventative maintenance on is the BT3100. Even then, I usually wait until the dust doesn't seem to be going down the DC hose or the raise mechanism seems a little stiff.

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

"When it stops working properly"

Case in point: This weekend I removed my Bosch 1617 router from under the table where it usually lives. Turned it on to make one pass and switched it back off. Went to turn it on again and...nothing. Took the top cover off, removed and disassembled the switch to find it PACKED with sawdust. Blew it out, reassembled and everythings great. Well, except that I put the switch back together backwards so "on" is now "off"

Even though I should probably keep my tools cleaner, I don't think I would regularly take the router apart to clean out the guts...seems that would eventually cause more wear & tear than the occasional necessary disassembly.
                Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by mschrank
                  "When it stops working properly"

Case in point: This weekend I removed my Bosch 1617 router from under the table where it usually lives. Turned it on to make one pass and switched it back off. Went to turn it on again and...nothing. Took the top cover off, removed and disassembled the switch to find it PACKED with sawdust. Blew it out, reassembled and everythings great. Well, except that I put the switch back together backwards so "on" is now "off"

Even though I should probably keep my tools cleaner, I don't think I would regularly take the router apart to clean out the guts...seems that would eventually cause more wear & tear than the occasional necessary disassembly.
                  Sounds like my logic!

Comment

• Wooden_Go
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Rocky Mountains
                    • BT3000

I just had to replace the four bearings on my 15 year old 9" x 6" sander last week. It started to sound really bad. It wasn't as terrible a job as I thought but not a routine one for sure. Fortunately I discovered that my 9" sanding disc was cracked pretty badly. The paper itself was holding things together. Interesting.

I take my drills apart to clean and lube when they start to operate differently. My drill press, jointer, planer, saws and lathe do get cleaned frequently mostly because I can't see them from the sawdust.

At the very least though I try to keep things lubricated. But the sander bearings were sealed and no way to lube them.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Hmmm
                      Saw the topic heading and one work came to mind.....

Golightly

that deep seated groan is coming from those in the know

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

"Deep Clean" your power tools?

You use words that make no sense to me.
                        Chr's

Comment

Working...