• Show
Clear All
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Checking for square

Good day

This idea is from Steve Maskery so first, please have a look at his video here

I'm just "showing off" that I made it and it was success

Regards
    niki

• siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

Very nice mate....I saw a video of guy with one of those just the other day.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• linear
      • May 2004
      • DeSoto, KS, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I read "the long and the short rods must be the same length" and my brain had a blue screen error.

I figured out what you meant though.
      --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• niki
        • Nov 2006
        • Poland
        • EB PK255

Thank you

Rob

"Fatal error occured in module......niki's brain....Press any key to continue"

I'm sorry, really bad presentation...but, you got it.

Actually, I chose some length for the long rod and drilled the hole approximately at the center (center of length), then, I drilled the hole on the short rod and adjusted (cut) the lengths on both sides of the long rod.

Regards
        niki

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Why did you sharpen only the one side? Not yet done, or is there some other use, you haven't mentioned yet?

TIA
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• niki
            • Nov 2006
            • Poland
            • EB PK255

In any case, I'm using only one side so I did not want to sharpen the other side and maybe "over sharp". Also, I did not want to weaken it.

You can sharpen also the other side if you like to, I just did not see any need to do so.

Regards
            niki

Comment

• tkarlmann
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
              • BT3100

Niki: This is the video I saw!

You had emailed me recently, as I was concerend over your other post where you used the rollers on the ends. The video you listed is where I first saw this device.

I still think the device is better and simpler with pointed ends.

The 'point' is, that the device is self-calibrating! You just pivot the short end around and make sure that it EXACTLY matches each end of the longer stick! This is why I like each of the ends to be pointed -- so you can easily MATCH them.

How about that? And folks pay how much for a square that is exactly 90?

IMHO.

Thom
              Thom

Comment

• niki
                • Nov 2006
                • Poland
                • EB PK255

Hi Thom

I think that, in a perfect world or on the drawing board, all the lines are perfect...and even a line hase some thickness...
                In reality, it's a little bit different.

The pointers (apex) must be with virtually zero thickness to touch the same point at different angles but, the zero thickness point is very weak and will bent or brake or change shape with time.

I understand that it's easier to calibrate the points but, if you look again at the way that I construct the "wheels" version, you will see that I'm actually "calibrating" them during the construction or more correctly, I drill the holes exactly at the same distance so there is no need to calibrate.

And if the holes are at the same distance and the wheels have the same diameter...all the three points are at the same distance and because it doesn't matter at what point the wheel touches the frame, I'll get always, at any angle, the correct reading of square.

Another benefit of the "wheels" method is that, the short arm will never touch the glue squeeze-out at the corner.

That's what I think but feel free to use the pointers if you feel so

Best Regards
                niki

Comment

Working...