• Show
Clear All
  • tkarlmann
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
    • BT3100

How do I use Framing Nailer?

Ok, I'm a wood-guy, but what are some guidelines for using a framing nailer? If some of this sounds trivial, well, I'm a Shed-building virgin.

I just had the idea that creating a shed will get rid of all the unrelated @#$* in my shop. I have: 1) got Norm's shed-building tape & plan on its way; 2) just got a 10 gauge 28 degree framing nailer from HF; 3) have my house and my site laid out in Turbocad and Turbofloorplan; 4) got advice from a Menard's guy on using 3" pea gravel and 12"x12" stones for a foundation; 5) I know I need a building permit; and 6) the alternative checked out was a prefab shed costing ~$660! This me-built shed will be about 10'x10' to 12'x12' in size.

I thought the framing nailer was going to be a slam-dunk. I got this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94000 nailer and 10 ga 3 1/2" clipped-head galv nails. Then I find out that clipped head nails may not be up to "code" in some areas. I am also questioning the 3 1/2" size.

Is there some gauge or do-dad that helps newbies in locating a nailer at the proper angle and height or something for 2x4 framing? If my little pancake compressor won't drive the nails in all the way, should it? My brief test was inconclusive. What nails should I use (length)? I thought the clipped part of the nail head would go up against the 2x4 -- it doesn't! Any nailing techniques anyone can share? Should I get a round-head nail gun instead?

Help appreciated.
    (I'd rather be using my brad nailer for real woodworking!!)
    P.S. I have thoughts of going higher than 8' for the walls (for wood storage) to 10' or 12'? Is this doable?
    Last edited by tkarlmann; 10-06-2007, 03:23 AM.
    Thom
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

This may be of some assistance in planning your shed.

Your pancake compressor should have the pressure to drive the nails completely. It only takes short bursts of air. The directions for the gun may have instructions for oiling or pressure adjustments. The only other tip may be to always run a long air hose instead of a long power cord.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Your compressor should have the power to set the nails. Like C-Man said, check the instructions for adjustments to the nailer. Also, make sure you have the right type/angle nails. Nail strips are joined with plastic, paper, or wire. Each gun uses a specific type. The wrong type may load but effect the perfomance of the nailer.

3 1/2" is a 16d nail. Most of the work in framing will be through the face of one 2x into the end of another so these are what you want. For nailing 2x's face to face, shoot the nails at an angle to compensate for the extra 1/2".

For siding, roof decking, etc. pick up some 2" nails.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Like Pappy said, a 3 1/2" nail is the proper nail to use. Since HF is not widely known for it's high quality tools, I'd be thinking of renting a good nail gun (maybe a Paslode (no compressor needed) or other good brand) for a day. There are times when nail guns will shoot a nail unexpectedly. You don't want that to happen. a 16d nail going into your leg would not be something you'd enjoy. Just my opinion. Whatever you do, be careful with the gun. Good luck with the construction.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

16d for framing
          8d for sheathing

Clipped head nails are not code compliant in hurricane country.

I use a PC pancake compressor and PC FR350 framing nailer for all of the framing jobs/projects I do.

Always position yourself behind the nail gun. Do not shoot nails towards yourself. If you have to hold onto a board, make sure you hold it farther away then the nail will impact.

Pea gravel and 12"x12" stone?? Talk to the codes office..

You can make the walls as high as you want. The sky is the limit..

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

usually (I think) the depth of drive depends on a setting on the nail gun (which not all guns have) and the air pressure - you should have an output regulator on the compressor, check the nail gun specs but usually they can take up to 90 PSI and if its not setting deep enough you may need more air pressure.

A pancake compressor at the right pressure should drive nails it needs a burst of air and much of its stored in the reservoir (handle) of the nail gun itself. If you nail too fast (often) then the compressor will run all the time trying to refill the tank which in turn fills the handle reservoir and the pressure will drop and then you'll have problems setting nails deep enough.
            Proper setting should have the head of the nail set just below the wood surface, e.g. the head fully buried.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

remove the flush nailing tip from the gun so that the spikes are showing. that might fix your nail set problem.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

You've gotten some good advice on the nailers so I will tell you that a shed won't get rid of the stuff in your house. If you have too much stuff you always will. A shed just gives you more space to fill. We have 2 sheds and there is still too much in the house.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• tkarlmann
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • BT3100

Good advice from all + What I learned!

First -- my small house has NO storage (plus I have lots of stuff) -- I have no basement and no attic (3br, 2 baths, 2-car garage, 1300 ft^2)-- so all the stuff ends up in my Shop/Garage!! This is Bad. I NEED a shed.

Pancake compressor: One guy at a BIG pro-tools-only place thought that the pancake compressor would NOT handle the job. My limited experience also showed that after 4-5 nails the thing needs to run. At this rate, it would be running all the time for framing. This may be bad -- and it is LOUD.

Thoughts on: is this the time to get the Large Shop Compressor? (Spray Finishing is looming in the near future too.)

Nail guns: I guess I convinced myself to go in favor of a 21-degree full round-head nailer instead of the 28-degree clipped-head one I just got -- so I exchanged it at HF, but they were out of nails -- http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90480. I don't want to go the Paslode route, because then I have (over time) $250-$350 invested in a low-use single-purpose/application tool.

Does anyone find other uses for their framing nailers?

Nailing: I finally found some info on this: Using 3 1/2" nails on 2x4's, shoot 1 1/2" up from the edge at 45 degrees! The nail should seat just at or below the surface. Wow, why was this so tough to find? There do not seem to be any little helper jigs to align a gun to the work for this -- so I think I'll make one from scrap 2x4.

On HF nailers: How would everyone vote between a reconditioned Porter Cable http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/t...s/fr350ar.html, and new HF http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93909 nailers?

Thanks for all the advice so far.
                  Thom

Comment

• tkarlmann
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • BT3100

More on PC vs HF nailers

Now I am leaning toward the PC nailer (see me previous post for specifics).

The PC is factory reconditioned, allows tool-free depth adjustments, on-tool storage for the rubber nose-piece, and comes with a case, costs about $80 more; while the HF is cheaper with no case and depth adjustments with an allen wrench.

How would you vote?
                    Thom

Comment

• tkarlmann
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • BT3100

My pea gravel: Was wrong w dat?

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                      16d for framing 8d for sheathing

I use a PC pancake compressor and PC FR350 framing nailer for all of the framing jobs/projects I do.

Pea gravel and 12"x12" stone?? Talk to the codes office..
                      Ok, what is wrong with my pea gravel solution?

BTW: I am thinking I may end up with the exact setup nailer/compressor you have! How many nails can you fire before the compressor cycles?

Thanks.
                      Thom

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

To tell you the truth, I never paid attention to how many nails it will fire before it runs. But.. I hammer nail or bump nail sheathing and haven't had problems.

Before I answer the pea gravel question. Is your shed going to have a wood floor?

Comment

• jhart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Built a 3 car garage and a 3 story porch using the PC pancake compressor and the PC 350 framer. Have used the compressor to roof 3 houses and three garages with roofing nailers. Depending on how fast you go with the nailers, the compressor can run a lot. I'm not sure that I see the problem with it running (obviously the noise), but I can't shoot fast enough to get the pressure low enough that it won't shoot properly. I'm not a pro but just an average DIY, so I may not go as fast as the pro's.

Can anyone explain the problem with the compressor runing frequently? Does it ultimately hurt the compressor?

That little pancake compressor does everything I have wanted it to do: Stapler, brad nailer, finish nailer, framing nailer, roofing nailer and spray painting for over 8 years and seems to be still going strong.
                          Joe
                          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• tkarlmann
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • BT3100

Pea Gravel again... and flooring/foundation

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                            To tell you the truth, I never paid attention to how many nails it will fire before it runs. But.. I hammer nail or bump nail sheathing and haven't had problems.

Before I answer the pea gravel question. Is your shed going to have a wood floor?
                            The Shed: ..will also need to house 2 motorcycles during the Chicago winter.

The Floor: I was thinking of a torsion box (ala David Marks), which is probably overkill, and I have trouble with what to use as a waterproof bottom skin. I looked at pressure-treated plywood, but do not know how well it would work there. I AM thinking PT 2x4 or 2x6 lumber as floor joists on edge with lots of support including lots of 'cripple studs' (?term). Then a plywood skin over top -- Maybe 2 layers with no through seams.

I do not want just rafters & plywood as this provides too many places for animals to hide/live.
                            Last edited by tkarlmann; 10-07-2007, 12:58 PM.
                            Thom

Comment

• tkarlmann
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • BT3100

Thank You So Much!!

Originally posted by jhart
                              Built a 3 car garage and a 3 story porch using the PC pancake compressor and the PC 350 framer. Have used the compressor to roof 3 houses and three garages with roofing nailers. Depending on how fast you go with the nailers, the compressor can run a lot. I'm not sure that I see the problem with it running (obviously the noise), but I can't shoot fast enough to get the pressure low enough that it won't shoot properly. I'm not a pro but just an average DIY, so I may not go as fast as the pro's.

Can anyone explain the problem with the compressor runing frequently? Does it ultimately hurt the compressor?

That little pancake compressor does everything I have wanted it to do: Stapler, brad nailer, finish nailer, framing nailer, roofing nailer and spray painting for over 8 years and seems to be still going strong.
                              I was NOT looking forward to buying a large compressor right now. Then here you come, like the proverbial Knight... happily proclaiming that I do NOT need one!

Thanks again! I'm going with my pancake!
                              Thom

Comment

Working...