• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Gloatie, Gloat, GLAGOOT, Galute #26 Rules

So certain central PA forum member alerts me to a very significant local auction. Basement FULL of big machines. Most Grizzly, all very well take care of. Given my magic bid card . . . #26.

1st item up . . . DeWalt CMS, 12" no-SCMS. Sold for $275. This not looking good.

2nd item up . . . Grizzly floor standing OSS. Grizzly retail $675 . . . sold $>500 . . . time to start walking?

3rd item up . . . Grizzly 6" x 80" edge sander . . . $1000? No $1000. $500? No $500 bid. What will we open it up at? $200 comes flying out of my mouth. $225, $250 I raise my bid card letting the adverse party know that I wasn't putting it down any time soon (little did he know I would! LOL!!) $300 once, $300 twice. Sold to number 26 . . . .

4th item up . . . Grizzly TS. Roller outfeeds, tricked out fence. Goes for $425. Can't justify another full size TS! LOL!

Bidding gets crappy. People start getting a little nutz. Stupid bearded guy buying up everything.

9th item up . . . Grizzly Moulder. Key here is the 24, thats right 24 cutter profiles in the shelf below. ALL profiles are brand new in package. Moulder is in great shape, looks like used once. Here we go . . . .
    I pop the cherry at $300, we get $325, come back $350? Big nod. $375, to $400, $425 to $450, I keep my card up letting villan know I am not goind away (again I will drop out any second) . . . $500? $500? Sold to number 26 for . . . . $475. Yessss! Got home and immediately checked Grizzly site. Cutters are $1080 alone! Moulder $700! Woot! Woot!

Last item was a homemade HEAVY steel tube storage racks. $500? Nope. $100? Nope. $25 anybody. Someone beats me to $25, so I go $25. Sold to number 26 for $35.

Now loading and unloading. Ouch. Man that edge sander was heavy! I had no idea. But the storage racks. Holy smokes. Now they were HEAVY. And lagged into concrete wall. AND all that was availible was a crappy DeWalt cordless with very low battery. That was a pain.

I know this is a completely pointless thread. I also understand it is completely worthless without pics. As soon as a certain BT3 member drives them on over photos will be uploaded. Hope he doesnt get used to seeing them in his driveway!
    Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 09-30-2007, 10:48 AM.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Allright, you've had your fun. Now get back to finding us bargains, and making us broke (not yourself).

Congratulations. Tool auctions are always fun.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
      9th item up . . . Grizzly Moulder. ... Sold to number 26 for . . . . $475. Yessss! Got home and immediately checked Grizzly site. Cutters are $1080 alone! Moulder $700! Woot! Woot!
      So, I guess LOYL should be expecting you to be puttering around putting up new bases, chair rails, crowns, window and dour trims this winter!

Congratulations on some fine deals.

JR
      JR

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Official . . . .

Moulder . . . .

Edge sander . . . .

Sample pass of scrape cherry with profile that happened to be in there. Nice. Hope the cuts stay that clean. Not sure about cutter sharpening yet.

Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 09-30-2007, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

You did great. You'll be surprised on how much you will be using it. I'm not too hot on tool auctions. The last one I went to I was sure there were shills. What was happening was an item would come up with an opening amount, and soon instead of a $100 or $150 up, someone would go $300 or $400. It happens too much. I try to keep an eye on who is doing it, but they could have many associates. I've seen used tools go for more than what they're worth just because of the heat of the bidding.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by JR
            So, I guess LOYL should be expecting you to be puttering around putting up new bases, chair rails, crowns, window and dour trims this winter!

Congratulations on some fine deals.

JR
            Well *thats* how I *sold* it to wifey. I think I could get into it.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
              You did great. You'll be surprised on how much you will be using it. I'm not too hot on tool auctions. The last one I went to I was sure there were shills. What was happening was an item would come up with an opening amount, and soon instead of a $100 or $150 up, someone would go $300 or $400. It happens too much. I try to keep an eye on who is doing it, but they could have many associates. I've seen used tools go for more than what they're worth just because of the heat of the bidding.
              This is the first live auction I have been to since I was a kid. It was ran pretty decent. Certain things frustrated me, but you knew they were doing it to 1) increase money for seller and 2) thereby increasing $ in their pocket. Both are fine and expected. I did not detect any shill bidding. There was 2 guys who bought a lot of the big tools and all of the wood. Nice stack of Cherry went for $450. Marked as 300 bf but looked more like 200bf just eyeballing it.
              Overall a good experience but it took quite a while to get to what I was interested in. I was really excited when they were auctioning off garage contents which was seperate from shop. Most items were plates, lamps, etc but there was 6 24" Bessey and 6 50" Bessey K-bods along with some steel bar clamps. They broke off into two concurrent auctions - one being garage contents and the other being lawn equipment, etc. Of course ALL guys went with the lawn stuff leaving me and Thom sitting there with about 50 chicks. I was just dying for the clamps to come up. 12 K'bods for about $10 anyone? Unfortunately for us the auctioneer realized the "boy toys" should be held until the lawn equipement auction was over. Like I said, bad for me but good for the seller.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice score. That 'certain BT3 member' told me about it last night. Were you so inclined you could probably sell enough of those moulding profiles to come out ahead on the deal.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                  Very nice score. That 'certain BT3 member' told me about it last night. Were you so inclined you could probably sell enough of those moulding profiles to come out ahead on the deal.
                  I don't know. Those crown and base profiles are pretty darn mac daddy to be getting rid of. Was certain BT3 member in a good mood last night? He looked a bit hung over today! LOL!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Great score! All the extra profiles are a big plus. Problem with many auctions is that people often overbid because they don't want to face that they drove all the way out there and came away with nothing. Glad you scored...

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

20 years ago I went to a local auction for some computer equipment. I'd looked over the lots and done my homework so I'd avoid paying more than what I wanted was worth. Lots of other folks were bidding stuff up to well over the street prices. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement so you throw caution to the wind and bid to win at any cost.

Same thing happens on Ebay. I needed to replace a radio in my airplane. Street price is about $1k. Auction prices have been running around $500 for units that come with what's known as a yellow tag, indicating they've been inspected, repaired and certified airworthy. I bid $525 and went away for the evening. When I came home, someone had been trying to outbid me at the last minute, increasing his bid in small amounts and doing little more than driving the price to exactly the amount I bid. His last bid came in 8 seconds before the auction closed. Might have been a shill. Might also have thought he could score a deal.

The moral of the story is, go in knowing what you're willing to pay and, if at an auction, stop bidding when the price exceeds that level or, if on Ebay, bid what you're willing to pay and then go do something else until the auction closes.

Jeffrey, sounds like you got some very good deals.

Comment

• movnup
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2006
                        • Seattle
                        • BT3000

pretty darn mac daddy
                        ???? I grew up in PA, lived in VA, IN, WI, CA, WI, WA and never heard that one.

Besides the great haul I have two questions: with all your bargains on big tools how do you find room to woodwork AND how do you sell your wife on all this stuff ???? Married w/ children and the big golden retriever dog my big tools are always a negotiation !!!

- clueless in seattle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by movnup
                          Married... ...negotiation
                          Pretty much sums it up!

Comment

• Thom2
                            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Stevens, PA, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                            9th item up . . . Grizzly Moulder. Key here is the 24, thats right 24 cutter profiles in the shelf below. ALL profiles are brand new in package. Moulder is in great shape, looks like used once. Here we go . . . .
                            I pop the cherry at $300, we get $325, come back $350? Big nod. $375, to $400, $425 to $450, I keep my card up letting villan know I am not goind away (again I will drop out any second) . . . $500? $500? Sold to number 26 for . . . . $475. Yessss! Got home and immediately checked Grizzly site. Cutters are $1080 alone! Moulder $700! Woot! Woot!
                            Dumb***, you bought the moulder for $375

sheeze ... if you're gonna gloat ....

DO IT RIGHT!!!!

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Thom2
                              Dumb***, you bought the moulder for $375

sheeze ... if you're gonna gloat ....

DO IT RIGHT!!!!

Dohhh! You are right! Use your Mod status to change my post to include a few more variations on gloat.

Note : I didn't gloat up the third purchase. Still trying to decide if they were worth $35 as they sit in my driveway . . . LOL!

Comment

Working...